To What Extent? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #21
Supporting Member

i like this thread its cool to see what people think of hypermileing and how serious they take it.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:30 AM   #22
Registered Member

A: To a great extent. I've been known to occasionally push the car, and I'd say I corner at above average speeds for a Metroid owner.

But I also live in an area with low population density, so I can get away with techniques that I wouldn't be able to use in the big city. And it's easy to find lightly used routes around here that permit me to drive wacky without ticking off/confusing other drivers.

Also, I don't have to commute for work so I can avoid peak traffic times.

And, like Ben, I ride my bike a lot.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #23
Registered Member

When I was driving back and forth to school (25miles each way) I would do more hardcore / dangerous hypermiling techniques (3 mile eoc on twisty roads). Normally I am not too bad. I don't think the average driver would notice anything except going uphill slow and starting to slow down way before a red light.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:29 PM   #24
Registered Member

It's interesting to see the responses here and then see how much above EPA you each get. There seems to be a correlation of those that are trying to stay more with traffic and whatnot are 20-30% over, then some are using more EOC, more P&G and get 40-50%, and those that were above 50% were more "all out" kind of drivers. I don't mean that in a bad way either. And MetroMPG wins with 122% over (must have something to do with Canada? )
Old 08-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #25
Supporting Member

GeekGuyAndy -

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGuyAndy View Post
It's interesting to see the responses here and then see how much above EPA you each get. There seems to be a correlation of those that are trying to stay more with traffic and whatnot are 20-30% over, then some are using more EOC, more P&G and get 40-50%, and those that were above 50% were more "all out" kind of drivers. I don't mean that in a bad way either. And MetroMPG wins with 122% over (must have something to do with Canada? )
Make sure you check to see if the MPG is "old EPA" vs "new EPA". At new EPA I am 46% over EPA.

But, yes, in principle, I agree (thank you P&G!!!!!).

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:25 AM   #26
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
Wow, it is cool to see how everyone is doing and what techniques they are using.

At present I'm using EOC on any hills that my MPH doesn't drop too much on. IE, if I'm doing 55 and I drop it into neutral and it stays 55, I'll kill the engine. Otherwise I'll P&G on the hill. All that, of course, depends on traffic. If there's no one behind me, I'll EOC even if I drop to 35!

I try not to take my turns too fast, I don't trust my tires, I need new ones. I do have them set at 40 PSI though.

I did some mild aero stuff, tucked my antenna away, tucked my wipers down, and removed the stupid air deflector under the nose of the car. As soon as I get the darn thing inspected though, I'm pulling off outside mirrors. I already have inside mirrors in place (see thread in my sig). Gotta get that darn air dam installed too!

I EOC up to read lights and restart when traffic moves. I kill the motor at a drive-through if I use one.

Oh yes! I too love the AC button! Run it till I feel cold and kill it till it gets too stuffy

Since I don't have a scangauge yet, I limit myself to 2,500 RPM max. No full throttle EVER! If the car threatens to downshift going up a hill, I throw on the hazard flashers and slow down. I've been known to take a hill in a 65 MPH zone at 45 MPH.

Ummm, last thing I guess is my new found proficiency at following 18-wheelers. Though not too closely.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:16 AM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGuyAndy View Post
It's interesting to see the responses here and then see how much above EPA you each get. There seems to be a correlation of those that are <snip>
Ya, the people who post really big numbers are definitely working for them. For me even, I think I could get another 20% by EOCing and not idling, but I choose not to do it for a whole variety of reasons. But the true believers don't make excuses, and they really set the standard.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:53 AM   #28
Registered Member

BTW, I'm using "New EPA" number
Old 08-14-2007, 03:07 AM   #29
Registered Member

Skewbe I'm not sure my throttle control works the same yours does. I unplugged it at 800 (car not completely warm) and it drops to 600.

If you plugged yours back in, would it completely reset and be like stock, or would there be an offset?

Team: Right Lane Rollers
Jim Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:19 AM   #30
Registered Member

It would be like stock, what with the racing after restarting with the key and the high idling while coasting with the engine on, oy.

Maybe unplug it when completely warm? And maybe turn on some accessories before you unplug it? Just a suggestion.