Too Many Mods, Overheating? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Too Many Mods, Overheating?

So I just purchased a 96 civic ex. We recently swapped in a d16y5 from a civic hx as well as changed the transmission to a CX for higher gearing. I have also replaced the ex wheels with the original hx wheels as well. On top of all this, I have purchased a scan gauge to monitor any progress in MPG. This is where my next mod question comes in; I recently purchased a Stant 195f thermostat as well as some coroplast to make my own grille block. I have been reading much about overheating issues or higher temperatures and am afraid that this will more likely occur with the 2 combinations especially in the summer. Anyone with this combination of mods or ideas?

GasSavers_maxpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Too Many Mods, Overheating?

if you do a grill block, do it with wire ties (the plastic kind) and carry a pair of diagonal cutters with you. if you see the heat rising, stop and remove the block.

you can also play with partial grill blocking. I would say monitor your actual temp (with the scangauge) and see where you sit with the standard t-stat. I have a 180 deg one but still run 190+ because of where it is in the system. I always assumed I had a 195 because of the temps but was wrong.

it isn't worth messing up your engine for a few more MPG.

also, I would wait until the summer before making anything permanent or semi-permanent. mine is permanent but I ran with a temp one on for about 2 years just to be safe.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

That sounds like a good idea. I'm thinking maybe flushing the radiator and then putting on the grille block. It's getting pretty chilly here so I'm sure it won't be as bad either, but I'm just thinking when summer comes along what temperature it's going to be at. Is there really much of a difference with grille block and higher temp thermostat? I've actually just read too of keeping the stock intake top off as well to release more heat. Any info on that?
Old 11-12-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
Registered Member

I guess it would bepend on the shape of your airbox. mine can't do that because then I would have no filtration.

you may also want to look into WAI (warm air intakes) or HAI (hot air intakes) they are pretty much one and the same just different people use different terms. this heats the intake air. there are mixed results depending on the car and how it runs.

I would recomend getting a scangauge or ultra gauge before doing much more. I bought a scanguage quite some time ago but the ultra gauge is only ~$60 or so. a friend of mine is getting one and should get it this weekend. I am looking forward to seeing how it compares.

I don't think the thermostat really matters all that much. maybe I am wrong. it stays closed until it comes close to the rated temp and then gradually opens. I would think that regardless of the T-stat, it would stay closed to at least 160-175 or so. they do make a 160deg T-stat so the before mentioned statement wouldn't apply to that.

just block the grill and see what happens. make sure it is removable and keep an eye on those temps. it is easy to forget about it during a cold winter and get caught off guard during the summer.

hopefully this response isn't all over the place for you. bad habbits are hard to break.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:16 AM   #5
Registered Member

I think your on the right track. I just purchased a scangauge but waiting for it to come in from amazon. The WAI looks quite easy so I might look into that as well. I am going to wait though until my scangauge comes in to do the WAI as well as the grille block just so I can monitor the changes in temperature and of course MPG. My main goal is about 40mpg so I'm sure that can be achieved by hypermiling alone. For now I'll just flush the radiator and install the thermostat. Afterwards, check the temperature and test out the grille block and WAI just to make sure it doesn't cook my engine.