Toyota yaris - bugging the crap out of me. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-06-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

Toyota yaris - bugging the crap out of me.

How can the EPA post mileage estimates for the toyota yaris without specifying if its the liftback or the sedan. Just because they have the same drivetrain, does not mean they have the same fuel economy. The liftback is probably much more aerodynamic, why wouldnt it have a different EPA rating?

pcgeek1510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #2
Registered Member

The difference is probably marginal.

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The listings on fueleconomy.gov are not well specified and not complete. If you want to be sure just check the specs for each car on their window stickers or on toyota.com.

Also, wouldn't a sedan be more aerodynamic, letting the air down gently instead of dragging a big vacuum behind it?
Old 07-06-2008, 10:57 AM   #4

No, it's called a Kammback. Honda CRX, etc.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
Registered Member

The sedan is most likely the more aerodynamic of the two, but I'm sure they are so close in FE that there is no need to report numbers on both models.

hybriDatsun350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
Registered Member

but the sedan would probably weigh at least an extra 100 lbs with the doors, etc.. Im sure the difference could be 1-2mpg. Also the liftback has a shorter wheelbase. :/.
pcgeek1510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I checked toyota.com. The sedan is slightly lighter than the liftback (makes sense because it doesn't have as much sheet metal and glass).

Surprisingly, you're right that the liftback has a shorter wheelbase. Why would they do that? Wouldn't it be far cheaper and easier to make them the same?

What's with the Yaris, in fact? The sedan has a little more passenger volume, 30% more cargo space, is lighter, is less tall, less wide, but significantly longer than the liftback.

Toyota's site lists exactly the same EPA ratings for sedan and liftback. Edmunds.com lists the same drag coefficient for both, surprising considering the differences in shape, width, height, and length.

I would say the sedan is the better choice for hypermilers and people looking for the maximum practicality. The liftback only wins if you need to park in ridiculously short spaces, carry bulky items, or look "cool" among your hypermiler friends.

http://www.toyota.com/yaris/specs.html
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=108501
Old 07-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I checked toyota.com. The sedan is slightly lighter than the liftback (makes sense because it doesn't have as much sheet metal and glass).

Surprisingly, you're right that the liftback has a shorter wheelbase. Why would they do that? Wouldn't it be far cheaper and easier to make them the same?

What's with the Yaris, in fact? The sedan has a little more passenger volume, 30% more cargo space, is lighter, is less tall, less wide, but significantly longer than the liftback.

Toyota's site lists exactly the same EPA ratings for sedan and liftback. Edmunds.com lists the same drag coefficient for both, surprising considering the differences in shape, width, height, and length.

I would say the sedan is the better choice for hypermilers and people looking for the maximum practicality. The liftback only wins if you need to park in ridiculously short spaces, carry bulky items, or look "cool" among your hypermiler friends.
I agree 100%.

As a side-note, we have been pleased with the mileage of the Yaris (sedan) so far.
Jonathan_ED3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
Registered Member

Aren't EPA ratings measured on a dynomometer? There would be no aero effects. They would just add a Cd and calculate drag to derive mileage.
lowbridescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:48 PM   #10
Registered Member

just one quick comment on this. my brother as a yaris hatchback with automatic tran and a friend of mine as the sedan with a manual tranny. i talked to them about the two styles and mpg. my brother has a lead heavy foot and he's getting 40+mpg in the hatch and my friend is just getting 36mpg. i'm not 100% sure on my friend driving style but i think he's a smooth driver, not lead footed. so i'm not sure whats up, but in this case the sedan is getting worse then the two door. i've personal sat in both cars and the two has tons more head, leg,etc room then the sedan no surprise there. but what surprised me was that me a 6'4 guy need to put the seat UP!! to get comfortiable in it. 99.99999% of the time its seat all the way back,seat lowered and the wheel all the up. but not in the 2 door yaris. hats off to toyota on that. can't wait to see what the toyota iQ will be like and car smaller then the two door yaris.