Trying To Pick Out Tires - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #11
Registered Member

Re: Trying To Pick Out Tires

Thanks you everyone for the input, greatly appreciated and it was a big help! After taking everything into consideration, and also realizing that I put the Pirelli P4's on my ex girlfriends car last year, took a good look at them up close yesterday and saw what great shape they were still in, I think I'll go with those.

Chances are I won't even bother with the wear warranty, I get pretty good life out of tires. I rotate them myself, I go back and forth between winter/summer suspension which I swap out myself so I never have receipts, just my own notes.

The reason I'm not going with a winter tire is because of the sheer mileage I'll be putting on over the school year. I'll be driving about 3,000miles per month in commuting alone, not to include weekends, trips, etc. So I want something that will aid in fuel efficiency and will last a long time. The HX wheels I'll be putting on are basically my touring wheels, I go between those and a set of 15" Konigs that I usually use for sporty summer tires.

I think the Pirellis will be perfect, I'll get them in a size slightly taller than oem spec (hopefully lower revs per mile will amount to longer life) and with my car at 267,750miles right now, they'll easily last me past the 300,000mile mark.

Thanks everyone!

Nick.E.Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #12
Registered Member

Re: Trying To Pick Out Tires

With respect, I believe your reasoning for not purchasing winter tires is flawed. The fact that you will be required to drive so much during the winter months should be a more PERSUASIVE argument for a dedicated winter tire. The increased risk of damage to you or your vehicle in an All Season far outweighs the slight improvement in fuel economy. Don't say "it can't happen to me" because these things are inherently unpredictable.

Even though this board is dedicated to saving gas, safety always comes first.

But - if you've made your decision, then for all others reading this thread, have a look at these videos and judge for yourselves the difference between "All Seasons" and dedicated winter tires.

Tire Rack Tire Test - All-Season vs. Winter Tires
Tire Rack Tire Test - Winter/Snow vs. All-Season vs. Summer Tires on Ice
Winter Tire Demonstration - Module 5 of 6

deschlong is offline   Reply With Quote