Tuning for FE - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Tuning for FE

I have been thinking about buying a tuning suite for my Camaro for a long time in order to tune for modifications and power. The suite I have been looking at is HP Tuners and will also work for my Grand Prix. Does anyone have any experience tuning for FE?

My boss used to be a Ford master tech and he has told me that he was able to get upper 20's in his f350 powerstroke changing only the computer tuning.

The suite is about 500 dollars and would probably take a long time to pay off for fuel efficiency but the majority of the cost would be for my other car.

www.hptuners.com

And on a side note does anyone know a good source for large flat pieces of abs plastic?

Thanks

Old 01-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
What tuning do you do in there for fuel economy? Advanced timing? Leaner fuel mixes?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Registered Member

Im not real sure that is why I asked. I would assume that you would lean the fuel mixtures.
I also know that on newer gm cars, dont know if mine is included, there is something called lean cruise which makes the computer strive for a leaner fuel mixture when there has been a cruise situation determined by the computer.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Hmm, sounds interesting.

This is the kind of stuff I'm interested in. Things that increase mileage without the requirement of a change in driving habits.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I'm not familiar with hptuners, except that they have a forum where I found a huge list of GM VPW PIDs that I'm currently trying to make into ScanGauge XGauges.

I suspect that they offer software/hardware similar to EFILive, the cost of which is in the same ballpark as the number you quote above. I'm sure that EFILive can be used to tweak the car for FE. If I ever have money to invest in tuning I'll try to make major changes to automatic transmission shift patterns, DFCO behavior, and lean cruise as you mentioned. There's probably other things that can be done too.

It would be way cheaper and probably more effective, though it would take longer, to have a professional do it. http://www.blackbearperformance.com can do EFILive tunes after sending you an OBDII data logger that will tell them how you drive and what they need to tweak. They usually do tunes for power but I suspect they'd be good at FE too. Does your Camaro have an LS1?
Old 01-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #6
Registered Member

Yes my Camaro is an ls1 car. I have looked at getting it professionally tuned and am still considering it. But learning to tune is something I am very interested in and tuning the grand prix for mileage would also be interesting to me as well as a good learning experiance.