two differnent shift patterns wich is best? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2008, 03:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

two differnent shift patterns wich is best?

after reading this autospeed article i'm wondering if i could alter my shift to achieve better economy.

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_110216/article.html

if i read this correctly it seems to sugest wide open throttle and high load seem to be possitive elements for FE

so what would be best for FE, while accelerating from standstill to a certain speed?

part throttle at high revvs or full trhrottle at low revs?

this is a visualisation of what i think bot situations might look like

form an FE point of view the goal is to: go from speed A to speed B and maintain this speed afterwards over the same distance, useing as little fuel as possible.

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:25 AM   #2
Registered Member

I noticed that your car has a carb rather than fuel injection. Many carbs richen the mixture significantly when manifold vacuum goes way down. I noticed this when I hooked my digital voltmeter into my oxygen sensor circuit and watched the values change at different throttle positions. At about 3/4 throttle- the voltage started jumping up (this means unburned fuel).

This richening effect by your carb might cancel out any gains from opening the throttle and reducing pumping losses.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #3
Registered Member

that might be true... beyond 3/4th throttle there's not much aditional response.
my vectra wich i'm about to start driveing does have an injector so perhaps that will respond different.

lunarhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
Registered Member

On my fuel-injected car, it does work. Low rpm, high throttle is best. I try to keep rpm below 2,200 or so, and usually below 2,000. About 3/4 throttle. The results speak for themselves.
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:33 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
EFI cars all have a throttle % beyond which the ECU simply dumps as much fuel as possible.

If you have a wideband, trying going 80-90% and see how high you can get it before it goes into open loop.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
Registered Member

Using the Scangauge, looks like it's not strictly a throttle point. It's more closely tied to the Load reading. Above about 95% load it goes into Open Loop and dumps gas in.
palemelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:13 AM   #7
Registered Member

interesting article...

To me, it seems to blow those arguments against DOD (cylinder deactivation) out of the window, that say that because you need more throttle angle to maintain speed on less cylinders, you'll barely use any less gas.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote