UK to adopt E10 - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-10-2020, 02:46 PM   #11
Registered Member

Awesome, so our premium would jump to 100 or more, I say bring it on, I would rather better performance that fuel economy, especially if it helps reduce emissions too. Got to be a win win in my eyes.

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:46 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draigflag View Post
Awesome, so our premium would jump to 100 or more, I say bring it on
Except it won't, as the fuel companies will reduce the octane modifiers currently added to get the figure back to 98 RON. The more ethanol in fuel the poorer the engine performance is the experience of motorists in countries that use E10.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:32 AM   #13
Registered Member

Can't say if the performance is worse with E10, as E0 is hard to come by where I live, but some performance enthusiasts go with E85.

Yeah, the refineries will likely drop the octane of the base petrol. There could still be a performance boost as the ethanol, and water with it, can provide better cylinder cooling.

As I said before though, if all your gas is E5 already, I don't think people will see much difference with E10.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:45 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
some performance enthusiasts go with E85.
If you have a car engine with an exceptionally high compression ratio and a fuelling system that can deliver sufficient fuel to the engine, then you can get performance out of the engine.
If however the car is using standard compression ratio and a fuel system designed for petrol and you try to run E85 then each litre of fuel will have a compromised amount of energy and performance will suffer.
Early racing engines used 10% acetone in water but you could not run a standard road car on that.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
If you have a car engine with an exceptionally high compression ratio and a fuelling system that can deliver sufficient fuel to the engine, then you can get performance out of the engine.
If however the car is using standard compression ratio and a fuel system designed for petrol and you try to run E85 then each litre of fuel will have a compromised amount of energy and performance will suffer.
Early racing engines used 10% acetone in water but you could not run a standard road car on that.
Yes, the case I was thinking of was the Sonic/Aveo 1.4L turbo. The engine was designed for the world's relatively higher octanes, and the software included the fuel tables for E85. In the US, GM just labeled it as regular octane, and let the knock sensors do their thing. It just needed the E85 fuel tables unlocked and an alcohol sensor to become flexfuel. Some opted to just have the fuel table switched to run just E85.

I've seen comments from other model owners running E85 that they got more power. It may not actually be so, but the higher octane of the ethanol would allow more advanced timing of the ignition. Even without a performance improvement from that, the engine was probably running smoother.

Then I understand modding cars are easier here than there.

There were multiple problems in the way the US went about E85. The engines the manufacturers chose to use was one of them. They went regular compression engines. An engine with a higher compression would have been able to take better advantage of the ethanol for performance and efficiency.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #16
Registered Member

Theres a trick to avoid the ethanol when filling up,press the trigger about halfway and you get pure gas. why? because the ethanol is on top of the gas and when you press the trigger all the way it gets mixed in the tanks because the pumps are generating a powerful suction.

When E10 was introduced in Finland ,swedish news reported that some people were filling up slowly to avoid it and thus creating queues,so dont be that guy,if you want pure gas fill up a little at a time in a jerry can each time you fill up or fill up your car late at night when no ones waiting in line.

In Sweden we have 5% ethanol in all gas. I haven tried it yet,but i have heard that it can take like 30 min to fill up a 60 liter tank.

The article,use google translate. https://svenska.yle.fi/artikel/2011/...i-e10-bensinen
WSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #17
Registered Member

This thread appears to have ended up an orphan after spam has been removed.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #18
Registered Member

Keeps showing up as a new topic, seems to be a common glitch. Hopefully resolved now after a couple of fresh posts...

Please subscribe to my YouTube channel
Draigflag is offline   Reply With Quote