Ultimate Geo Engine ReBuilder?/Geo Jeff? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #21
Registered Member

update on my geo jeff metro

We were driving down south for a peek at a piece of land up for sale and I thought this would be a good time to get a figure for the freeway MPG. So with half a tank left I topped it off. A quick calculation showed 37.5mpg (up from the 33.5mpg last time). So it is a rebuild after all and is really breaking in. I replaced the plugs with platinums. The old plugs were OK looking.

Off to Centralia. I kept the car pegged at between 54 to 56 mph the whole way there. When I exited the freeway I topped off again and took out the calculator. 62.5 mpg! This was not a full tank refill so the margin for error is greator but I suspect a longer trip will confirm it to be at least in the high 50's.

shalamabobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #22
Registered Member

Geo Jeff Car

I did 3 separate mpg tests ranging from 35% city/65% hwy to 55% city/45% hwy. The worst was 46 mpg, the best was 55 mpg. There were some minor issues with his build, but over-all the engine and tranny seem solid. I don't get that super low idle rolling in neutral, only when at a complete stop, so that's definitely affecting some mpg. My old XFI would go super low idle anytime your foot was off the throttle while in neutral or clutch dis-engaged. So there's some room for improvement on his ECU manipulation. But seriously how many cars get 46 to 55 mpg for $4k-7k range? Only the Geo Metro far as I know!!

jryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #23
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalamabobbi View Post
Off to Centralia.
Off-topic: Post photos. Haven't seen it since something like 2005, wondering how it looks now...was way cool back then.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Off-topic: Post photos. Haven't seen it since something like 2005, wondering how it looks now...was way cool back then.
I had the camera along but didn't snap any shots. We went to the west side of I-5 and almost all the way out to the end of the road west into the valley. Very pretty area. Likely hasn't changed a lot since then as property values are pretty low and nothing much seems to be moving.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:10 AM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
I had the camera along but didn't snap any shots. We went to the west side of I-5 and almost all the way out to the end of the road west into the valley. Very pretty area. Likely hasn't changed a lot since then as property values are pretty low and nothing much seems to be moving.
Nevermind, we're not talking about the same Centralia...I was thinking Centralia PA, a ghost town with an underground coal mine fire that's been burning for 50 years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centra...lvania#Gallery
Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
62.5 mpg!
OK. It was an error. A partial top off and the pump clicked off too early.

So I spent the day today driving up to the Canadian border and back at 55mph. After about 200 miles I refilled and this time calculated 50mpg for the freeway gas mileage. Still fine. I had to stop the test as the traffic was beginning to slow below 55mph.

This is a rebuilt engine and transmission and not a restoration but this guy advertises how he even goes so far as to replace the rubber on the wiper blades getting his cars ready for his customers. For that reason I'll mention that on the way home the belt began to squeal. Turned out the pivot bolt on the alternator was loose and the bottom mounting bolt was altogether missing. Also I had previously found the engine mounting bolt was too short and only holding by a couple of threads and came loose, the battery cable where it attaches to the engine was left loose and sparking when starting the engine, the engine idle control motor failed within 100 miles and caused the idle to race. He removes the PVC valve assembly altogether and covers that spot with a cork patch. The idle was too high to pass emissions but I managed to slip it into 1st when the test attendant wasn't paying attention and load the engine to bring the RPMs down enough to pass the test.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #27
Registered Member

OK. The situation is MUCH worse. I need to consult with a lawyer before posting anything else. But this is serious. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy does some prison time for this.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:28 AM   #28
Registered Member

You do have the option of deleting posts (which may be a good idea legally).

I hope all works out for you.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #29
Registered Member

Ok. This is the most recent discovery. New wheels without using the proper studs. The lug nuts are barely hanging on by a few threads only.
Also he didn't bother to stake the axle nuts. In his sales pitch video he states that he went through the brakes and installed new wheel bearings.
I filed a report of criminal negligence with the state attorney generals office, consumer fraud division.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lug1.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1531   Click image for larger version

Name:	lug3.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1532  
Old 09-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #30
Registered Member

Jeff agreed to give me a refund and take the car back. He looked at the lug nuts and justified them saying in effect that since they were thicker than the stock lug nuts it didn't matter that they over reached the ends of the studs. Yep, you read that right.

I was getting my money back so I thought better than to argue the matter with him but let me get this straight. Stock studs, stock rims - steel, thin wall - stock lug nuts reaching to the ends of the studs. Then after market rims - thicker walled - stock studs - and thicker lug nuts. So in effect less stud to hold onto even with stock lug nuts. And if an aftermarket rim requires a longer lug nut there is a reason for that like, oh I don't know, a wider tire creating greater forces for the studs and lug nuts to deal with. No mention from Jeff about any justification of failing to stake the axle nuts. I think it slipped his mind - again.

Well there you have it. Instead of an apology he said I was fond of drama. But he did return my money. Your mileage may vary. I get the feeling I was the exception to the rule.

Incidental costs ran about an additional $600 in this adventure that can't be recooped. Most expensive set of new wiper blades I've bought in a long time.