Unbelievable - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #41
Registered Member

on a side note: my truck's 0-60 is just under 6 seconds. and I know apples to oranges. the dakota is a little picker and it didn't come from the factory that way. many mods and much money later and I am pulling the 6 sec 0-60.

also, 350 vs 287 but at 3400-3600lbs still pretty stout. I figure your truck is over 2 tons.

you do make a good point though. even though it wouldn't put as much of a load on the alternator, it would probably take more of it to make a difference. maybe counter productive.

also, one of the cool things about the scangauge is that you can actually see horsepower. there is a long code for that one too. and I am not sure how accurate it is. there is a big difference between horsepower used and peak horse power. you should try it.

this really should have been a PM. sorry

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #42
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
on a side note: my truck's 0-60 is just under 6 seconds. and I know apples to oranges. the dakota is a little picker and it didn't come from the factory that way. many mods and much money later and I am pulling the 6 sec 0-60.

also, 350 vs 287 but at 3400-3600lbs still pretty stout. I figure your truck is over 2 tons.

you do make a good point though. even though it wouldn't put as much of a load on the alternator, it would probably take more of it to make a difference. maybe counter productive.

also, one of the cool things about the scangauge is that you can actually see horsepower. there is a long code for that one too. and I am not sure how accurate it is. there is a big difference between horsepower used and peak horse power. you should try it.

this really should have been a PM. sorry
I don't have a problem with it... This is an open discussion, and I think my truck is 3 tons... That's what is on my title. Maybe sometime I'll stop by the scales at a truck stop and get it weighed.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #43
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Your title should have the GVWR, which is the maximum amount it's allowed to weigh fully loaded. Empty, your truck probably weighs closer to two tons. My 2002 model weighs 4400 pounds as I drive it (with me, some tools, and some gas).

Edit: http://www.google.com/search?q=1998+...curb+weight%22 makes me think that it could be anywhere from 4000 to 4800 pounds, but I doubt it's heavier than a 2002.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #44
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Your title should have the GVWR, which is the maximum amount it's allowed to weigh fully loaded. Empty, your truck probably weighs closer to two tons. My 2002 model weighs 4400 pounds as I drive it (with me, some tools, and some gas).

Edit: http://www.google.com/search?q=1998+...curb+weight%22 makes me think that it could be anywhere from 4000 to 4800 pounds, but I doubt it's heavier than a 2002.
Ok, I don't have my title readily available. I keep it locked up in the safe at my parent's house. Here are the numbers from my registration...

EW - 6500
GW - 7500
GVWR - 10000

I still don't think the truck weighs 3.25 tons empty. I'm gonna have to weigh it.

-Jay

EDIT: Hello! McFly! Check the label on the doorjamb! DUH! On the doorjamb it says the GVWR is 6200 lbs -1,000 lbs (1/2 ton) the empty weight should be 5,200 lbs. That still sounds like a lot.

-Jay

Old 07-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #45
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
A "1/2 ton" truck from 1998 is probably rated for 1600 to 1800 pounds of load.

The GVWR from your registration is wrong and you're probably paying more to the DMV than you should, but at least you'll never get a ticket for being overloaded...not that I've ever heard of that being enforced for pickup trucks anyway.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #46
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
A "1/2 ton" truck from 1998 is probably rated for 1600 to 1800 pounds of load.

The GVWR from your registration is wrong and you're probably paying more to the DMV than you should, but at least you'll never get a ticket for being overloaded...not that I've ever heard of that being enforced for pickup trucks anyway.
I just renewed my registration, and the paperwork is still in my briefcase. I pay $51.75/yr for registration fees. I've never heard of pickups being ticketed for being overloaded either. I know I had hauled about a ton & 1/2 from Kentucky to Virginia, then hauled it to Florida 3 weeks later. Nice to know I was "legal"

-Jay

Old 07-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #47
Registered Member

My brother was ticketed for an overload in Hampton, Va. He later found out the dealer had underreported his allowable gross weight to reduce THEIR cost of registration, while they charged him for the higher rate.

Case was tossed, I don't know what happened to the dealer, but they basically told my brother he was personna non gratis at the dealership, which changed owners soon after that incident .

regards
gary
Old 07-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #48
Registered Member

I have to agree with the "No such thing as free energy" mentality,
for all that I can always coast down a hill for free, the problem comes
in the trade off when the car has to go back up said hill and I believe
the same is true with this hydrogen bunk.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #49
Registered Member

though I believe heavily in the "no free energy" thing and also have similar beliefs in the HHO (as in it not netting a gain), with the battery scenario, you may not gain any energy but may just get that energy cheaper netting in an overall cheaper per mile price.

as stated before, I don't plan to do any of this but it is a thought. I am lucky enough to live in a place where electric prices haven't been affected too much in past years. I have heard of people whose electric prices have gone up 30% or more and for them, this wouldn't be a viable option. regardless, I don't plan to modify my cars computer that much because I want it to run for years to come.

it is more an idea than anything.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:36 AM   #50
Registered Member

More shippping delays. Still no water for gas kit *sigh*. I ordered my Scanguage last week and that was supposed to ship today. I was hoping to get it for the road trip to Brainerd for the drag races in August but now it's supposed to get here the monday we get back.

Greyg is offline   Reply With Quote