Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

undisclosed ethanol content in gas

from wikipedia:

Quote:
In several states, ethanol is added by law to a minimum level which is currently 5.9%. Most fuel pumps display a sticker stating that the fuel may contain up to 10% ethanol, an intentional disparity which allows the minimum level to be raised over time without requiring modification of the literature/labeling.
I know that E85 gas usually results in poorer gas mileage due to less energy per volume..so that means "using that example" that getting gas from Shell results in poorer gas mileage than another random gas station what uses pure gasoline???

Has somebody researched this before?

Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Registered Member

Some studies claim fe increase at up to 20% ethanol concentrations.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
Some studies claim fe increase at up to 20% ethanol concentrations.
I dunno if you've seen it on your Tempos, but the Tempo I was borrowing a lot did ~25mpg on "random" gas and ~29-31mpg on Sunoco, which has the "May contain 10% Ethanol" sign on the pump. My other vehicles aren't so keen on Sunoco.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:23 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
I know that E85 gas usually results in poorer gas mileage due to less energy per volume..so that means "using that example" that getting gas from Shell results in poorer gas mileage than another random gas station what uses pure gasoline???

Has somebody researched this before?
Well, when RFG was mandated by the EPA to the Milwaukee metro area in the late 90's, here's some things I learned.

First, the expansion of ethanol is different than gasoline. It's made in huge batches too. So, first, recognize that we're talking hundreds of thousands of gallons in each recipe. Next, if it's made within spec the 10% ethanol, by volume adds about 2.8% oxygen to the mixture, but the law allows a variation between 1.7 to 3.5% oxygen, which is a swing in the volume of ethanol because of production mixing and by expansion and contraction through temperature changes.

Finally, gasoline isn't very different from manufacturer to manufacturer because of a lot of the Clear Air Acts from the early 90's. Gasoline is a fuel that is important to have in the supply chain, so it's distributed to everyone. Just because you have a Shell station, for example, it doesn't necessarily mean that it was made by the Shell manufacturing. Sure, it probably came in the tanker that it usually comes in, but it's origination is not known. It's in the retailer, manufacturer, and the distributors best interest to keep the supply moving.

I don't like ethanol mandates. It should be a choice.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
E85 would be good becuase although it yields less mpg, it could be produced much cheaper.

E10 makes no sense. Less mpg for the sam price as straight gas
Old 04-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog671 View Post
E85 would be good becuase although it yields less mpg, it could be produced much cheaper.

E10 makes no sense. Less mpg for the sam price as straight gas
Get rid of the government subsidy, and I don't know how one can make it cheaper. The increased cost of food is also a problem.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
I agree. Arable land is already working full capacity and I dont think corn can maintain the entire US...
Old 04-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
Get rid of the government subsidy, and I don't know how one can make it cheaper. The increased cost of food is also a problem.
I really don't like corn anyway but I'm sure they can grow more. The government had been paying farmers not the grow corn for decades.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog671 View Post
I agree. Arable land is already working full capacity and I dont think corn can maintain the entire US...
Maybe taking action on ways to lessen demand on resources is appropriate at this juncture.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

Old 04-21-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
Registered Member

http://www.ethanol.org/pdf/contentmg...se_12507-1.pdf

Yes it's sponsored by industry, but the content agrees with my experiences.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17