US car options - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
It would prolly be too costly to meet emissions and safety standards,
It comes up again. Do you know what safety standards their talking about?

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #22
*shrug*

Well, to be US certified you have to pay a lot of money to do the tests. There is also something about body construction they didn't do with the lupo that would require a complete redesign to make US spec. Also, and prolly most importantly, Euro tests assume seat belts are used, US tests do not. So to pass US tests the car needs to be designed to cushion unbelted passengers.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Well, to be US certified you have to pay a lot of money to do the tests. There is also something about body construction they didn't do with the lupo that would require a complete redesign to make US spec. Also, and prolly most importantly, Euro tests assume seat belts are used, US tests do not. So to pass US tests the car needs to be designed to cushion unbelted passengers.
Ok thanks. I can see the Lupo but geez how much would it cost to pad the passenger side?
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:18 PM   #24
Registered Member

It's not the cost to pad the interior iirc, anyone can do that, and the importers who sold the Smart had to. It's the cost of all the tests to certify this "new" model.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #25
*shrug*

I think it also includes having things placed so as to not compress legs and hips and things...I don't see why we should test for people not wearing their seatbelt. I don't believe in seatbelt laws, but I think if you don't wear it you're taking your life into your own hands and everyone else shouldn't be responsible for it...
Old 06-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #26
Registered Member

And part of it is the sheer number of vehicles available for sale in the US now. Did you know there are nearly 300 different models of cars and trucks -not counting the GM and Ford clones (who are they fooling anyway - geez!) That means if you sell 200K vehicles a year of any one model that is a big success. In the past GM was able to sell Impalas by the million. Those were the days my friend they thought they'd never end. They sang and danced until they closed the plants! Showing my age - sorry!

So introducing more choices fragments the market even further - resulting in even less profit. Hell, it's more profitable to sell movie tickets to the masses than by selling cars these days.
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:07 PM   #27
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Gasoline prices will continue to climb in an upward sloping line. Technology will continue to make cheaper replacements for the ICE in ways that may today be cost prohibitive. This is a downward sloping line.

As time marches on, those lines will eventually cross. At that point, CAFE and any car company incapable of evolving will be irrelevant. I don't think that point in time is all that far off.

So while the lazy and greedy big three bicker over how much time they should be allowed to do nothing, the world will simply move on without them. The question is whether we'll entertain their shrill whining until they're finally gone. I hope not.

I just hope that battery technology continues to advance the power/weight density and wattage/$ ratio. Pretty much everything else is there to make EV a better choice. It won't matter to the consuming public until we reach that critical price point.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:15 PM   #28
Registered Member

There will be relief in the future as the world becomes more of a global economy. Things will have to change. One of the reasons the GTO sold poorly in the US is because the gas tank was placed in the trunk. Due to in Aus. it was behind the axle, not allowed here. REGS. remember the Pinto?Buyers didn't like it. Ya I know fuel econmy stunk just stick with me, it's an example! Now GM is beginning to design with world sales in mind. Cars are being designed to be sold anywhere.
The statement was made about liability. That spells LAWYERS this country is run by them! There are no accidents someone has to be responsible. Can't be the nut behind the wheel! So cars are over built here like no were else. Lots of the cars designed and powered by FE engines could not pull the load here. Remember most of us commute one to a car, but they are designed with more in mind plus luggage. I can take all day to get to 55 but most won't deal with what we do. I get passed daily by Priusis and Insights in the high speed lane doing 80+. Most people vote with their right foot no matter what kind of car they drive.
minic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:25 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings View Post
Gasoline prices will continue to climb in an upward sloping line. Technology will continue to make cheaper replacements for the ICE in ways that may today be cost prohibitive. This is a downward sloping line.

As time marches on, those lines will eventually cross. At that point, CAFE and any car company incapable of evolving will be irrelevant. I don't think that point in time is all that far off.

So while the lazy and greedy big three bicker over how much time they should be allowed to do nothing, the world will simply move on without them. The question is whether we'll entertain their shrill whining until they're finally gone. I hope not.

I just hope that battery technology continues to advance the power/weight density and wattage/$ ratio. Pretty much everything else is there to make EV a better choice. It won't matter to the consuming public until we reach that critical price point.
I love these kind of statements. Do your homework, one of the main companys pushing batt. development is GM. They are investing tons of cash to do so. This will benefit all of us and the industry. Remember one thing you have to charge those cars. What are we going to charge them with? Calif. can't even keep all the lights lite. Let alone charge millions of cars. Plus be ready for taxes on them. Either in higher plate charges or a meter on your house to pay for road tax! Already talk is buzzing about the loss of revenue by charging cars instead of gas tax. Also the energy to build electric cars is higher. What do we do with all the dead batt.? Recycling them are more expensive. Not to mention the power plants cause more green house gasses than gas cars do. No one wants a power plant in their backyard! still I'd buy a Volt in a minute.
minic6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:30 PM   #30
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by minic6 View Post
Also the energy to build electric cars is higher. What do we do with all the dead batt.? Recycling them are more expensive. Not to mention the power plants cause more green house gasses than gas cars do. No one wants a power plant in their backyard! still I'd buy a Volt in a minute.
The energy used to run them is less. You recycle the battery? What do you do with old oil? Pour it in the rain gutter?

Show me some statistics showing that the average power plant produces more GHGs than the average car. I would like someone to show me how a powerplant is less fuel efficient than an ICE.

I would rather have a powerplant in my backyard than a permanent smog cloud over my city!