Using a thread to brainstorm: Drive on Washington - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2006, 08:37 AM   #1

Using a thread to brainstorm: Drive on Washington

Many people have rallied in the nations capital, why not people in 35+ mpg cars. Platform could be oil reliance, global warming, gas prices, tax credits for high milers, etc. Even do it on a weekend or holiday Monday to show concern for commuters. The press play would be huge. Please contribute your thoughts. This is nothing official, it is more a of a seed in my head.

ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
*shrug*

It's a nice idea, though I wonder how many people would throw the big bucks to drive out there. If I were not in school without a car I would certainly participate. I still remember fondly my days of anti-war protesting in the nations capitol. 300k of us didn't make much difference where humans lives were concerned, but when it's something that affects peoples' wallets it doesn't take much to get them to listen,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

I'm in Texas that would be a pretty long drive and to get time off from work for that would be tough. In the US how many people drive a car that gets over 35 MPG since there really not much availiable here.. The best bet might be to try a grassroot petition getting signature and passing it along to a simpathetic Senator if you can find one.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
Driving on E

I've been brainstorming getting my car around 60 MPG and doing a cross-country drive... or at least a drive down to california on one tank of gas. At the very least it would get some people interested and could attract some attention.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I've been brainstorming getting my car around 60 MPG and doing a cross-country drive... or at least a drive down to california on one tank of gas. At the very least it would get some people interested and could attract some attention.
That's a good idea what car are you going to try and do that with? Throw in your favorite charity and get sponsers and your set.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #6

Maybe just city events. Like Fuel Economy Carshows not just hybrids. But all makes models and modifications. You figure they have them for stereos, speed, and makes. Why not MPG?
ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:07 AM   #7
*shrug*

What we really need to do is work a way to get others outside the community involved. I'll send all the dartmouth papers (including the dartmouth, oldest college paper in the country) a little note asking about a place for such articles among their normal junk. Writing is certainly a powerful tool to help enlist others!
Old 08-25-2006, 11:24 AM   #8
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
That's a good idea what car are you going to try and do that with? Throw in your favorite charity and get sponsers and your set.
I'll do it with my civic. My original plan with that car was to have a car that has all of the luxuries of a modern car (A/C, Power Steering, automatic locks, windows, etc.) that gets killer gas mileage. Oh, and it's a four seater too, so it dispells the myth that only small cars can get good MPG.

Then again, compared to new cars, my little 89 civic IS small.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:42 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketel0ne
Many people have rallied in the nations capital, why not people in 35+ mpg cars. Platform could be oil reliance, global warming, gas prices, tax credits for high milers, etc.
Have you seen http://40mpg.org? US Political/consumer action campaign.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #10
*shrug*

Sweet link darin, *joins*