Using diesel as gasoline additive? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 PM   #21
Registered Member

yes the "gasohol" is 10 or 15% alcohol .. and there is also E85 .. i put 10 -15% in either as i have a flex fuel vehicle now . it has only 60K on it , and runs well on the mix.
dddon

dddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #22
Registered Member

The flex fuel system may be better able to handle differing fuel weights and viscosities than a non-flex vehicle. I know my Ranger has higher psi injectors than the standard.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #23
Registered Member

Smile

my minivan runs at 50 psig ..what is the ranger pressure??
and my old mini was not a flex and i ran it for 10000 miles on "E85 D" as i call the mix... i got about 20 + mpg using it. this was on "winter gas" which is not as good as summer gas ..... dddon

right now i am looking at other options, and also how to better filter the oil in the engine, as the liturature i have read sez the less particulates in the oil the better the overall performance !!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
bypass filter ddon. Search for a motorguard, or frantz, or gulf coast. I have a Motorguard and a sandwich adapter ready to go on my next car after I pick it up.
GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #25
Registered Member

Smile motorguard

I already have a motorguard unit from a cleanroom vacuum pump.. any idea how i can cheaply determine how good it is ?/ I am planning to limit the flow with an orifice size of less than 1/16 inch ...I just did a test of a magnetic aid to the full flow on my van .. i changed the oil but not the filter, then drove 500 miles and removed the filter and cut it open ,,,it picked up a lot of magnetic particles!! I used the new rare earth type magnets ... very strong.
is there a reasonably priced place to get particles in oil identified?? dddon ..... what is a sandwich adapter?? an where can i get one!!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #26
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
Sandwich adapter
http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page28.html

Screws onto your oil filter mount, and then allows the same, or different filter to be screwed onto it, with two ports to allow partial flow to an oil cooler, or guage, or filter. Is your Motorguard metal? It should have an orifice to slow stuff down, although with the sandwich adapter, I don't think you would necessarily need an orifice. To see what people are using for bypass filters, check this forum
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...oard=34&page=1
GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #27
Registered Member

I wouldn't get any oil near my gas. I had a 07 sentra 2.0L enterprise rental come in, it starts for 2 secs and stalles every time. I noticed the gas didn't evaporate fast on my fingers, it had a oily texture but still smelled like weak gas. Someone put diesel in the gas tank. I shut off the fuel pump, ran a can of BG inj cleaner in it, got it running (wot) after the exh gasket blew out from the pressure, bang- it finally got running over 5k rpm. the cat was clogged solid from the diesel.

On another car, the 2.5L altima/sentra engs have a recall on some that the Eng burns oil from bad rings. almost all of the cats have been deteriorated from the oil. and a 2nd thing on those 2.5s, their is no egr, it uses the valve timing for exh gas. so any cat that comes apart is sucked back into the cly and chews them up fast so your engine is destroyed.
ffvben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #28
Registered Member

Oil will burn clean in the right proportion, especially with any alcohol in the fuel, isopropyl being 1st choice, methanol being second, ethanol being last, which is barely any in 87 octane, though ~15% in E85. Take a camping lantern for instance, runs on anything from #2 through kerosene to coleman gas, and it only smokes bad (at either end) when you don't have the wick trimmed right.

Therefore I'd say the 1st cat got clogged ran on pure diesel, and the second cat got clogged with pure oil, when engine braking or in high vacuum.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:03 AM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
...ethanol being last, which is barely any in 87 octane, though ~15% in E85.
?

E85 is 85% ethanol.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:33 AM   #30
Registered Member

Heh, whoops, phrased that bad, I meant ethanol being last choice for helping with oil, since you can use smaller quantities of isopropyl or methanol to help with it. And that 87 octane on it's own with only up to 10% ethanol will not cope with much oil added, but E85 would cope with up to 15% as dddon found. I think with pure methanol, you could blend up to 30% in it.

But it's really only worth messing with if either E85 is insanely cheap, or you have a free quantity of diesel or kerosene. (OR you stilled your own alcohol and turpenes from a wood gas producer type affair)

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote