Using diesel as gasoline additive? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-29-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to JohnNeiferd
Using diesel as gasoline additive?

I'm new here and wouldn't consider myself and expert modder, but I think I might be getting the hang of the basics.

Diesel has a higher energy content per gallon than gasoline. So that means 1oz. of diesel will make a bigger explosion than 1 oz. of gasoline right?

Well, you can safely add 2-stroke motor oil in the gas of a 4-stroke engine and it'll still run just fine. There are a few people who even use regular motor oil in the gas (with a ton of smoke) but it still combusts and the engine runs. I've ran a diesel and gas mix in a small briggs and stratton engine before. I was just pouring anything flammable in to see how much abuse it could take, surprisingly a lot.

Wouldn't it be possible to add diesel fuel to gasoline to increase the energy content of gasoline? Then since the fuel mixture has a higher energy content you would be able to operate at the same speeds but with less throttle (and therefore less fuel) than before because the fuel is making a more powerful explosion.

I know diesel costs more than gas right now so that may offset the the mileage gains (if there are any) but wouldn't the diesel also lubricate the fuel system and possibly help reduce upper cylinder wear also?

Has anyone tried this? Am I thinking in the right terms of how the increased energy content would affect operation? I'll probably end up trying this on my carbed 4-wheeler just out of pure curiousity.

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Euro
JohnNeiferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Registered Member

Runs like crap. Not enough compression, loss of power. Not a good idea.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Lots of white smoke when cold - provides upper cylinder lube when running - when hot the engine may tend to continue running if carburated. Sulfer in the diesel will probably destroy the Cat.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
I haven't tried it, but I'd be more concerned about the fuel pump screen or the injectors being clogged;As only an additive it may not be a problem.With a carb,I see no reason not to give it a try in the 4 wheeler. Don't let negative feedback stop you from experimenting; there are always some ready to say it will not work.
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
as far as increasing the energy per gallon content, there isn't much of a difference, something like 125k btu/g vs 130k btu/g. half the gains in a diesel engine is from running 2-3x the compression of a gas engine. this is done because A. they can and B. diesel needs it to run well.

in short, by the time you've added enough diesel to make a mentionable difference in the btu/g, the engine will run like crap.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I've used bio-diesel, and straight veggie oil in my gas on my cb125 motorcycle with good luck, ran a few tanks through it, you can find that at http://www.gassavers.org/showthread....ighlight=cb125
I never got around to mixing more, I wanted to use bio-diesel, as it doesn't have the glycerin, and is supposed to have fewer problems with clogging in the long term.
I also agree that the sulphure in diesel will destroy the catolitic converter, and should not be used.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

I was adding an amount of vegetable oil to my gasoline in the winter. No deterioration of performance, but I had no gains that I could necessarily measure.

A diesel or vegetable oil is going to have probably almost 20% more Btu's, but there might be a gain in the additional lubrication that was removed through the changes in gasoline through the various Clean Air Acts.

Gasoline has sulphur also.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #8
Registered Member

dezelahol

i have tried the mix of gasohol an diesel ... it works .. best in the range of 10 -15 percent diesel .. gives a boost of perhaps 15 to 20 percent increase in MPG ... dddon
dddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #9
Registered Member

Welcome to the forum dddon.

What engine were you doing that in?

What kind of diesel? 100 dino, B2, B20, etc?
Old 03-30-2008, 10:34 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to JohnNeiferd
I'm not concerned about the cat. With the new ULSD at 15ppm, I don't think that will hurt it all too much or the oil for that matter. I'm not worried about the injectors or fuel pump either. I'm not talking about running half diesel and half gasoline. Just around 10% or less of my total fuel capacity (16.5 gallons in my car). I might end up trying it on the 4-wheeler today if it stops raining, if not I'll give it a try tomorrow. If things seem to go well I might put some in my car once just for a try. One run can't hurt it.

1992 Chevrolet Lumina Euro
JohnNeiferd is offline   Reply With Quote