Vacuum Gauge / Happy with your brand & model? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-18-2016, 05:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

Vacuum Gauge / Happy with your brand & model?

Anyone have any good or bad experiences with your brand / model vacuum gauge?

What's the difference/advantage with the different types of vacuum gauge faceplates? Some needles rest in the middle. Some needles rest to the far left.

Searched, but can't find. Do they made a BlueTooth vacuum gauge so an app can give better analytics?

Doug in Oakland, CA

ChewChewTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
Registered Member

I've been using vacuum gauges since the 1950s to give me an idea of how hard the engine is working under various circumstances. I've never had one fail me, nor has any been more accurate than the others that I could tell. However, I like the ones with a 270 degree dial as they are easier to read precise values. They seem to be commonly available at local auto supply stores for $25 or so, a true bargain for the info they provide not just in regards to fuel economy, but for engine condition too.

Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

Good advice on the dial face. Thanks for the response, Airstreamer67!
Old 01-24-2016, 04:04 AM   #4
Registered Member

If your vehicle has a turbocharger you will need a gauge which will read both vacuum and pressure.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:03 AM   #5
Registered Member

An OBDII reader like the Scanguage will also have manifold(vacuum) displays. They'll cost more than the basic vacuum gauge, but are easier to install and provide a lot more info on other parameters. There are OBDII plugs, including bluetooth, and apps for smart phones that do all the same as the readers.

Just research the reader and app to make sure it can get the data from your car. Some cars don't report everything to the OBDII.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:47 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
An OBDII reader like the Scanguage will also have manifold(vacuum) displays. They'll cost more than the basic vacuum gauge, but are easier to install and provide a lot more info on other parameters. There are OBDII plugs, including bluetooth, and apps for smart phones that do all the same as the readers.

Just research the reader and app to make sure it can get the data from your car. Some cars don't report everything to the OBDII.
Thanks, TrollBait, but my 1989 Civic is pre-OBDII. It was the first generation of Hondas to have fuel injection. That's the ONLY modern improvement. No airbags. Crank windows. No electric locks. But recently got 55mpg with it!