Very Confused Hypermiler here. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-13-2008, 03:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

Very Confused Hypermiler here.

today i filled up my tank due to the fact gas hit a all time high of 4.14 a gallon and one station still had it for 3.96/gallon. Keep in mind my driving habits have changed(p&g/coasting, shutting engine off at long stop lights, not driving fast, not using a/c, and the weather is still HOT) and my mpg when down HUGE from 36.8 to 33.3. the only really differience is doing more p&g, and been doing that quiet well coasting for good long distances. I don't know if it's a hick up in the system or what. (oh btw, same gas station and gas type too) so my real question is. What happen????

Old 06-13-2008, 03:40 AM   #2
Registered Member

one thing is that you are only putting a few gallons in at a time. there may come a time when the averaging must come in to play. if you average this tank (the poor one) with the one before it and maybe even the one after it, then you may get a better picture.

another consideration is to use about 10 gallons of gas before you fill up or maybe 3/4 of a tank and not just a small bit. this will also help with averaging

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

i've thought about driving longer on this tank, but i have a gas gift card and i figured i would fill up before the price sky rocketed. plus i just have a 11.3 gallon tank and i'm not 100% sure driving it down that low before filling up( have a long commute to work) averaging them together = 35.095mpg still hypermiling, just thought it would be around the 36 mpg range still
Old 06-13-2008, 04:12 AM   #4
Registered Member

my commute is relatively short compared to some on here. mapquest said it was 22miles (that is one way) I checked it with google maps and it said 19.8 which was verified by my odometer. with google, you can change your route to reflect the actual way you go and not THEIR shortest route.

I know I may get railed for this one but: I tried the PandG thing and it didn't seem to pay off for me either. many have said that it takes a while to realize the benefits and perfect the technique. it seem to me like it took a lot of work and I didn't see an immediate payback so I stopped doing it.

I have an auto trans and I have concerns about long term affects of the neutral coasting on my trans. I keep flip flopping on this and don't really know where I stand on it as a whole but the default is the lazy man stance where I get in the car, put it in drive, and go.

also can I suggest a few things that helped me out on MPG. maybe a scangauge, a grill block, and perhaps a warm air intake. my car is not the best platform to start with. it has a 2.2 liter 4cyl and on this site that is a pretty big engine (just from a displacement standpoint). the EPA for my car is 25. I think with a few modifications, you should easily be leaps and bounds over me.

as far as the tank size, remember that the more gas you put in, the less of a variance you are going to get when the pump stops. that 2 tenths of a gallon difference when the pump clicks makes a pretty big difference with 3 gallons but only half that difference with 6 or in my case a very slight difference at 14 gallons (I know, by that time you would have been on the side of the road for a while with an empty tank). but you see what I am saying.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:21 AM   #5
Registered Member

it's wierd the p&g with two tanks i got SUPER mpg 37.5 and then 36.8. i can't afford a scangauge at the moment. i'm planning a grill block soon. and the whole cool/warm air intake is a 50/50 in my book. i think it really depends on the engine. i did the k&n air filter inseret and it worked for my car. i was told by my mech. the tercel enigines are super super senisitive to heat. he said that 9 times out of ten if they over heat, the engine is gone for good. he has two tercels, same year has mine in the back of his shop that overheated once and he uses them for parts. (more and more people here are buying tercels and corollas) which is why grill blocking is something i'm not 100% sure on with this car. better to be safe then sorry you know.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:41 AM   #6

I'd have to agree with BEEF. With a short time between fillups it will only take a few tenths to really skew the mpg numbers. Even getting 33mpg on a 10 gallon tank you should be able to get to 275 miles or more before filling up.
BBsGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:57 AM   #7
Registered Member

I am somewhat of a safety guy myself. regardless of the gains, if your car is only going to last a month by driving it that way, then it isn't worth it.

the scangauge will tell you all the data that you need. I think in real time as well. if your dummy gauge in the dash says you are overheating, it is usually too late. I watch my temps like a hawk especially now that it is summer and temps are rising.

I was actually considering getting a second one and daisy chaning them together so that I can monitor more parameters at one time. the problem with that is another $160 and I don't think it will change my driving habits enough to pay for itself probably ever. the first one will probably take a while to pay for itself to begin with.

it does teach you a lot about how you drive and where you are putting too much throttle into it. I usually hit 4th (OD on my auto) around 40 or so and I try to ease it up from there to stay in that gear. mine has a bad habit of downshifting if I give it too much gas at that low of a speed.

I did the scangauge first then the grill block and then the WAI. my engine compensates for the IAT sensor so I actually see a gain. other engines don't compensate for it or do it in a different way so you are right when you say it is vehicle/engine dependant. what works for me may not work for other.

at 34+ percent over EPA, I am going to keep doing what I am doing.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:10 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I often read that OEM temperature gauges don't really provide temperature info, but are just idiot lights with a needle. Why do people say that? What's wrong with how the gauge works? Mine seem to work accurately and quickly.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:01 AM   #9
Registered Member

holycow,

mine reacts unbelievably slow. I will be up to temp (according to the scangauge) and the needle will still be climbing the gauge to 195. my gauge only has 3 numbers 100, 195, and 260. it will be half way betweein 100 and 195 when my scangauge reads 188 which is where my coolant temp ususally sits. also it will go to 195 when my scangauge is still at 188.

also, my fuel gauge is strange too. (old #s but shows the point) I will get 100 miles out of it before it comes down to full, another 100 out of the next qtr tank(3/4 tank by now) another 100 to get to the half tank mark (that is 100 miles per qtr tank) and the last half tank will only get me another 100 miles.

I have gotten to where I don't trust the gauges in my car. your car is an '08 and mine is a '97 so that may not be true in your car but it sure is in mine. also it is domestic and I'm not going to harp on the quality issues there either.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:17 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I see. I have not observed those inaccurate behaviors from my temperature gauges on either vehicle. I'll have to compare to OBD readings when I'm equipped for that.

In my 2002 GMC I have observed its reaction to heavy trailer towing, and I think it was accurate.

My '08 is a German car, known for worse quality than domestics.

Don't feel singled out about your fuel gauge. That problem is pretty universal, though yours is a little more extreme than others. On both of my vehicles (and on previous vehicles I've had), the half mark generally sits at 30% of actual fuel remaining...