Video about my VX - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
Registered Member

Re: Video about my VX

Great video Ben. Thanks for sharing your work. I'm curious about the cost of these modifications. Some of them look and are relatively cheap like the side mirrors and the fan. How much would you estimate it has cost to modify this car currently and what overall difference in fuel efficiency are you getting. For example were you getting say 45 mpg before and 68 mpg now? That would be a 50 percent fuel efficiency increase and obvisously you'd recoup most if not all of your expenses relatively fast.

Thanks again for sharing.

VX_Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
Registered Member

Arky-
Total investment in the car is 3k. That includes $1000 cost of car and $200 or so in registration/insurance to get it on the road the first time.
All the aluminum I fabricated with I got for free. I had to buy the aluminum rivets, paint, bondo, fasteners, etc. The plastic underneath was all free. The ground wires/wiring I had on hand already. The MPGUINO was one of the biggest single expenses. That was $65? I think.
I didn't mention the LRR tires, maybe I should have. Next vid I guess.
So, yes, 45mpg is where I started. Now I routinely see tanks over 70 mpg, but the 90 day average is 68 mpg. What's that percentage change? All mods have paid for themselves pretty easily at that point. That was part of my goal.

I could probably see 75 + mpg in the summer if not for the 300#'s of drums I need to carry around 80% of the time.

Thanks for the support!
B

benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
Registered Member

Dude, that's awesome work. Your car pays for itself probably annually by the amount of money you save. Keep up the good work. Who knows, maybe you'l figure out a few new ways to improve the mpg and get it up to 75-80!!!
VX_Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
Registered Member

Thanks Arky-
I'm hoping the LRR tires slated to go on the back will help some. I've gotta try using some actual MTF instead motor oil (c/o ADDlCT). Otherwise, maybe some pizza pans that I can figure out a non-bad way to mount to the VX wheels, not sure.
Oh well, I'm pretty happy with 65. Yes, I travel probably 20k a year. If I was getting the 25mpg of the Volvo, I'd likely have paid nearly as much as the car!
B
Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #15
Registered Member

Here's the video of me driving (and getting to 75 mpg).
Check er' out if you wish!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk8PiG4ActA

B