Volkswagen Diesel Quantum '84 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-09-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

Volkswagen Diesel Quantum '84

I'm thinking about this car. I think I can get it for $700 or less. It would mean selling the daewoo-woo. But it's a diesel and a 5 speed, looks clean from the pics so I think I could get some pretty good numbers with it. Looking for opinions. I would hate to sell a 6 year old car for a 23 year old car and lose FE instrumentation. I know diesel engine last forever and this supposely has 101k on it(don't know if that ture or not). I know nothing about diesels. Would there be anything I should worry about with 23 year old technology or what should I look for. I think it would make a good project.
Thanks

zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Who knows, maybe the 23 year old VW wrapped around the diesel may actually give you more problems than the engine. BTW, do you need the AWD? I'd think it would eat some of the numbers.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

oh well just the usuall repalce all fluids when you if you get it, dont be suprised when gaskets start to go (thier old) id be mostly concerned with rust ussues, mainly the floor pans and frame/subframe. and brakes prolly need to be redone if its been sitting more than a year. but usually its not as bad as some people think. just dont be suprised when stuff starts to break cuz well its old and worn out, rubber doesnt last forever so replace all vacum lines.

got any pics?
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
*shrug*

Run SVO or keep the woowoo!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hot damn, if you don't get it at least tell me where it is!
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:13 AM   #6

An IDI DIESEL VW for UNDER $1,000!! Jump on it! Is it a coupe? Wagon? 4 dr? If it is "ready to go" no problems GET IT! If it REALLY has 101k that's even more of a reason. See how bad it smokes. When I picked up my Jetta it did smoke a bit upon hard acceleration, but with a can or two of Seafoam it seems to have cleared up. The injector pump was a little dirty. How badly rusted is it? If it's a TX car, I would suspect no rust and the main problem would be cosmetic in the interior with the dash cracked.

If anything, get it detail it/clean it up and if you find you don't like it put it on eBay and MAKE A PROFIT!!! This is not a car you'll lose money on unless that injector pump goes out or the whole motor goes south. Still wouldn't worry about that, I know you enjoy russian roulette since you own a Daewoo . Just Kidding.

Really, if I were you - I would jump on it without hesitation and then even consider greasing it. WVO. Doh, just reminded me, I have to go get 8 gallons of WVO out of the trunk of the Corolla.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #7
Registered Member

Get it. These things last forever. I have friends with old Volkswagens. The car is a piece of **** that will fall apart, but the motor will last forever. That price is incredible. Generally at that price, they aren't running at all. If it runs fine, you may have found one of the best car deals of all time.

Also, you can run it on veggie oil.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86 View Post
Get it. These things last forever. I have friends with old Volkswagens. The car is a piece of **** that will fall apart, but the motor will last forever. That price is incredible. Generally at that price, they aren't running at all. If it runs fine, you may have found one of the best car deals of all time.

Also, you can run it on veggie oil.
VW diesels are rare, but the above is likely true. The engine will likely run forever, but the Quantum isn't a pinnacle of reliability anywhere else -- especially electrical. Expect to invest quite a bit in keeping it running...

But...the 5-speed too = So is it the 4-door or Wagon?

Emission-wise, the Woo-woo will likely be much better unless you have a steady supply of veggie oil.

Not sure how reliable or aerodyamic it is comparitively as well -- it would make a good project car, but perhaps not to be relied-on for your daily driver.

RH77
Old 06-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #9
Registered Member

You might be dissapointed by the MPGs. The quantum was sort of large and heavy. how big is the quantum diesel engine? My friend had a 4wd wagon one time, it had a 5 cylinder gas engine, but I think it had trouble getting 30mpg, and was expensive for parts, which it needed on a fairly regular basis. I would guess you might get about 40-44 mpg on the highway at low speeds, but you can get that with the woo. It is interesting because of how affordable it is. See if it is all ready to go...if it doesnt need a lot of work, think about it. A rabbit diesel, or even a jetta would be awesome...i know people who drove them normally and got 60 mpg.
GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:11 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
when I was little we had a friend with a handfull of quantums, both gas, and diesel, they all had more issues then you could imagine, I'm not sure how they made an electrical system that failed in so many ways, but it happened, I think all of the quantums had the 5 cylender, and from what I've heard it made the electrical system look like a swiss clock, volvo apparently used the same VW 5 cylender diesel for a few years as well befor realizeing they needed something better.
so befor spending $700 on it, do some searching for vehicle reveiws

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote