VSS for supermid - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-10-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
Supporting Member

VSS for supermid

Ok, I can't wait anymore. I just got in my vss, and I can't figure out what the hell I'm supposed to do with it. I don't understand, it seems the cable that runs to my transmission ends nowhere! I know the VSS is actually in the speedo cluster itself in my car, but the other end of the cable just ends in front of the transmission. I don't see how its attached or whats making it work. I hope I didn't get all this stuff for nothing. I want my supermid to work!

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #2
Registered Member

Would you mind clarifying what car? and have you googled for "vss" or "vehicle speed sensor" and that car name?

Old 07-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #3
Supporting Member

88 honda crx hf, yeah the vss is in the speedometer cluster, but I was thinking that I needed the transmission mounted VSS for the supermid to work. Maybe thats not the case. At any rate, I bought a 94 integra gauge cluster to work with the transmission mounted VSS. If I can use the signal from the stock cluster that'd be fine with me, I'd just have to sell that stuff on ebay like I bought it.

my favorite thread
Old 07-10-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
Registered Member

The speedometer cable runs to the cluster, but the cluster itself produces a pulsed signal it sends to the ECU. Couldn't you tap into this and leave the original cable on the tranny? If I'm reading the manual right, it gives four pulses per speedometer cable revolution and the speedo cable has 1026 rpm at 60mph
mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88HF View Post
Ok, but the other end of the cable just ends in front of the transmission. I don't see how its attached or whats making it work.
If you're looking at the front of the trans.....that is the clutch cable.

The black box on the left of the picture is the battery.

The Speedo cable is in the same spot (basically) but on the back part of the trans near the firewall. The speedo cable comes out of the firewall underneath the intake manifold.

Speedometer cable is the black cable near the middle of the firewall.

EDIT: According to my manuals...you can tap the "Speed Pulser" signal (VSS Digital signal) at pin B18 OR B19 (yellow wire with red stripe).
I guess they switched positions of the wire between different ECUs???

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
Supporting Member

Sweet, Thanks for the info, I was definitely looking at the clutch cable. Maybe I can put that VSS on there now. I don't think the signal is the same from the stock cluster. Its 4,000 pulses to ground/mile according to: http://www.fondahonda.com/cruise1.html Does anyone know what it is for the tranny mounted VSS?

my favorite thread
Old 07-10-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I know that the 88 and up honda VSS signals are 4 pulses per one revolution of the VSS. 87 and older VSS (the one you linked to) may be a totally different beast altogether.

I also update my previous post with the pinouts for the VSS signal.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
Supporting Member

If you multiply that out: 1026rpms@1mi/min * 4 pulses per revolution = 4104rpms/mile. So thats pretty close to the 4000/mi. Don't know if his number was exactly right anyway. I just need to know if that would work with the supermid or if I need to install this electronic VSS on the transmission. If I installed the one on the transmission, I guess I'd have to get a cable to connect the sensor and cluster also.

my favorite thread
Old 07-11-2007, 09:11 AM   #9
Supporting Member

I just thought about it, but the plugs on the back of my 94 integra cluster are different than those on the back of the crx cluster. Are the plugs back there the same for obd1 civics as 94 integra? I just got the female plug for my electronic VSS from a junk yard. Maybe the connectors to the gauge cluster would work also from the obdI civic they pulled it from.

my favorite thread
Old 07-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #10
Supporting Member

no it won't work, damn it, I need the harness plugs from the integra. They don't have any at my junk yard.

my favorite thread