VX hatch emissions fail - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

VX hatch emissions fail

Hi everyone, I stumbled accross this forum a few weeks ago and am very Impressed with the community. So I have owned about ten hatchbacks but 3 weeks ago I bought my first vx. I got a killer deal on the car and was originally going to flip it but decided to keep it. Here in Utah the hydro carbon standards are 220 ppm. When I went to register and do the emissions the car ran 4179 ppm and I about had a cow.

So I did the regular things like, new thermostat, plugs, cap, rotor, the previous owner put in a new 5 pin O2 sensor. I've also re-timed the car and flushed out the coolant. The car was hesitating at low end so I put in a new TPS sensor as well. For years I've used E85 To pass emissions but I really want to get the car to get great gas mileage. I thought it was my EGR that was bad but I hooked my vacuum to the EGR on the intake and I can hear the plunger move up and down. I'm out of ideas hopefully you guys got some tips for me! Thanks in advance! You guys are awesome.

Joel

JDMEMone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
Registered Member

From lurking here, the EGR might be working, but the its port can be clogged.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

That seems really high, so it is likely more then one thing. Improper ignition is often the culprit. You may need to change the wires as well. Make sure you have the NGK V-Power ZFR4F-11, other plugs don't have the correct heat range.

But timing should be looked at closely.

The VX also has a different cat, it connects directly to the manifold. They are more expensive then the ones that connect further back. By now it has probably been replaced, and the replacement ones don't last as long as the OEM.

Like Trollbait said, cleaning out the EGR and the passageways in the intake, that sometimes can get clogged up is worth looking at, There is lots of info here on cleaning the intake.

Good luck, and I agree, make it run right, don't just fake it through the test.
SalorJOhn is offline   Reply With Quote