vx owner wants more mpg! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cems70 View Post
I swapped the DX tranny for a VX tranny not long after I bought the car. That change alone gets me to about 46 -48 mpg. Driving 55 mph or less on the highway gets me to about 50 - 52 mpg. My hypermiling (EOC, turn off engine at stop lights etc.) gets me to 56.49 mpg.
The transmission is in fact one of the biggest think that make the VX so FE. Go ask the automakers WHY they havent continued with that kind of thinking. I personnaly experiment my VX with a SI tranny (I had to change the tranny when I bought the car, but someone sell me the wrong transmission so I had a SI tranny for 2-3 weeks) and my MPG dropped dramaticaly).

Good thing to notice is that a DX with a CX/VX tranny get the same MPG then a CX with +/- 20hp less.

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
I swapped the DX tranny for a VX tranny not long after I bought the car. That change alone gets me to about 46 -48 mpg. Driving 55 mph or less on the highway gets me to about 50 - 52 mpg. My hypermiling (EOC, turn off engine at stop lights etc.) gets me to 56.49 mpg.
I wonder how much better mileage you would get with an HF tranny in a VX. I noticed one guy with a D15Z1 and an HF trans in his crx is reporting mid 60's with that combination.

I think I may do that swap into a CRX Si after I finish my current HF project.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelgt73 View Post
I wonder how much better mileage you would get with an HF tranny in a VX. I noticed one guy with a D15Z1 and an HF trans in his crx is reporting mid 60's with that combination.

I think I may do that swap into a CRX Si after I finish my current HF project.
The mid 60's are more the fact that a crx weight 1600-1800 and a VX 2100. Because from what I hear on this forum, the HF tranny dont match really well the VX power band. Maybe just the long five of the HF combined with a VX tranny.
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBI View Post
The mid 60's are more the fact that a crx weight 1600-1800 and a VX 2100. Because from what I hear on this forum, the HF tranny dont match really well the VX power band. Maybe just the long five of the HF combined with a VX tranny.
My HF (2nd gen) is more like 2100. The first gen hf was the ~1600lb one.

What do you mean long five of the HF combined with the VX tranny?

Old 09-16-2008, 01:08 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Because from what I hear on this forum, the HF tranny dont match really well the VX power band.
Does anyone have any empirical evidence to prove this?

Old 09-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Brian D.
I was able to get 52MPG CONSISTENTLY with my '91 HF (FED) when I had it...I mean consistently! I see now reason why these VX'ers out there have to settle for less. Sure, the VX weighs a few more pounds than my "heavy" 1991 CRX HF) REALLY offset the increased efficiency of the Civic VX engine, (which should be way MORE efficient than the HF engine)? I would think VX'ers should be getting a consistent 50MPG with NO problem. I never did ANYTHING ridiculous to get my 52MPG in my HF-fed...totally normal driving, never killing the ignition, and never overinflating the tires. That car was AMAZING. There was never a fill-up where I didn't do the gallons-versus-miles-driven calculation.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelgt73 View Post
Does anyone have any empirical evidence to prove this?
Proof is relative. I've found that the final drive of the hf transmission, 2.95 vs 3.25 in the vx/cx, makes starting out in first a bit of a PITA, especially if you're in a hurry. This in a 90 hatch at ~2150#s. Course it doesn't help that I add another 250#s
nowhhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:18 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Quote:
Good thing to notice is that a DX with a CX/VX tranny get the same MPG then a CX with +/- 20hp less.
Yes, but the DX power band does not match up well w/ the CX/VX tranny. It's a real dog unless it's in the 3,000+ RPM range...and I almost never get into that range unless I really need to accelerate fast. Frankly, for the type of driving I do, I'd rather have a CX (or a VX, of course).

And if you think it's difficult starting out in first gear in a VX with the HF tranny, try my DX with the VX tranny.

All that said, FE is the most important thing to me, and I'm pretty pleased with it this summer.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversol View Post
well a cx to vx converted owner wants more mpg!. i have had the vx swap in for almost 600 miles now and i get around 44 mpg mainly city driveing. and that is driving with a lot of angry people behind me shifting below 2500rpms coasting down hills. 55psi in the tires with vx wheels and the intake turned to the radiator.
I try my best to stay in lean mode at all times. and driving like there is a egg under the gas pedal. call it greed but i want more i want to break 50mpg so bad!. should i turn the car off at lights and restart when green? should i shut it down coasting? and restart? i am willing to try just about anything except crazy aero mods besides a grill block thats on my to do list. thanks in advance!
What is it with 44mpg being the magic number for this car? So many VX owners are getting 44mpg. I hate to rub it in (okay, I don't) but for me I have to drive pretty carelessly to get 44mpg. Your description sounds like you should be getting 56-62mpg. But there is no reason to go above 2000RPM let alone 2500rpm. My car is bone stock minus a front spoiler/lip and I have no problem getting 50+mpg. The single biggest thing I think you can do to gain 10mpg would be the following: On flat ground in 1st gear shift at 1800RPMs, in 2nd gear shift at 1700rpm, in 3rd gear shift at 1350rpm, in 4th shift at 1250rpm and accelerate like there's an egg under your foot. Simple as that. Adjust slightly when going up hill or going down. If you have people behind you--give it a little more throttle and shift 200 rpm later--but never put the throttle all the way to the floor. You can also learn to shift quickly. The quicker you shift the less forward momentum you lose while accelerating.

The other thing you can do is become hypersensitive to when you are braking. Every time you touch the brake pedal your MPG goes down. Coast instead of brake where you can. Learn the traffic lights. Learn to anticipate what's happening in front of you. Don't drive directly behind people--go to one side of the lane so you can see what's going on 5-10 cars ahead. The single most effective mod you can do is simply adjust the nut behind the wheel.

I've gotten 70mpg in city driving.. but it is taxing to do so much EOC and not so great for the car, but it's kinda fun for the first half hour or so... then it becomes very tedious. But you really shouldn't need to turn the car off if you are aiming for just 50mpg. I thought people down south drove nice and slow and laid back?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversol View Post
ok guys i am doing something seriously wrong! i just filled up and i got 35 mpg this tank!!!!! and that is driving very slow shifting a 2500! and some eoc! god what am i do in wrong!!!
I don't think you're doing anything wrong, I think there is probably a problem with your car. When I first got mine running after the swap, it wouldn't pass emissions because of a clogged cat and I drove it for a while just hammering it, shifting over 5k often, and the worst I could get was 37mpg. I'm not necessarily suggesting a clogged cat, I have no intention of trying to diagnose a problem via a forum, I'm just saying IMHO something is mechanically wrong. As most have said, you should be able to get mid 40s without trying.

nowhhs is offline   Reply With Quote