VX Swap..........3000rpm @ 60mph - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I've been watching this thread because I'm interested in gears ratios and how they affect FE and I don't like it when a transmission doesn't have tall enough gears, as yours doesn't. I haven't posted because I don't have anything productive to add, but I do have a couple questions on my mind...
- Did the DX come geared like that from the factory, or do you think that was a modification by a previous owner?
- ......drat, I forgot it while writing the above question...

Ok, so I forgot my second question, but in the process I did think up something that might help you: Keep in mind also that the transmission might have the right gears but the differential's ratio could have been changed. I suspect that the differential gears are more common to change than the transmission, as in the non-Honda world I usually inhabit.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I suspect that the differential gears are more common to change than the transmission, as in the non-Honda world I usually inhabit.
I don't know about Honda specifically but I'm a lover of RWD and in that case the differential gears are always easier to change out than the transmission. You drop the drive shaft and that's all you need to separate the diff from the rest of the driveline. And I've never seen a RWD differential that even needs the rear end taken out to change gears. It can be done in the car.

In the case of FWD I'd figure that you are looking at the same amount of work to do either one. I've seen Toyota transmissions and, for the ones i've seen anyways, there is no way you are going to change out that diff without at least unbolting the transmission from the engine and pulling out it to get to it.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #13
Registered Member

Hey, I was thinking about changing to a taller gearing in my pickup and figured changing the differential would be easiest. Do you know where to look for good, used diff gears and what size will link up and fit? I'd really, really prefer to find someway to cob up a 2 speed rear so my 4x4 will still be operable, but I bet that's out of the question, huh?

Acutally I guess it should be just as easy to change my front diff gearing too. I'm not even sure what my stock gearing is, it's certainly not too bad, but it can definately be lower, I don't need so much acceleration and if I need lower range for 4x4 I still have low 4x4 setting on my transfer case.
itjstagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
A GM full size truck forum can tell you exactly what to get for your truck (I like gmfullsize.com). You might find someone who would be willing to trade straight up, since lots of truck owners still would prefer lower gears.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj1000 View Post
Well, I finished my JDM D15B VX swap into my 95 DX. I am only getting about 39-40mpg with my VX. SO, after doing some reading on here my issue has to be the fact that the S20 trans that I have can't be geared correct. I have been reading and most of the VX's on here are around 2000rpm @ 60-65mph. I can't maintain lean burn at 65 or 70 because I am well over 3000rpm.

For the VXperts, does this sound like a correct guess as to where my lack of fuel efficiency is at??Dave
Dave,
You are correct about suspecting the RPM levels are too high. You're seeing nearly 50% higher revs than the VX transmission would deliver to you. I was unclear in reading your post if the S20 trans is from your existing DX. If so, it has much lower gearing than the VX, so there's the problem. If not and you retained the tranny came with your JDM engine then who knows...all bets are on that it came with something less than optimal.

To a much lesser degree, those wheels/rim combo are doing you no favors either as they are too large for the VX.

My VX gets ~42 miles per gallons with 85% hwy, a number that I am not too please about given way its driven and the all stock drivetrain. I've got a gremlin to be deterimed, its a stubbling, gutless, torqueless wonder under 2k.
SCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #16
Registered Member

Thanks for all the great comments. I could only wish fixing my problem was as easy as changing out rear end gears in a RWD vehicle. I have found a VX transmission local and am thinking about rebuilding it with new gears (has over 200k on it) and then swapping mine out.

The S20 transmission that I installed came with my JDM engine, so I am not 100% sure what gearing is in there. My DX was orginally an auto, so I sold that trans a while back. Kind of a fun swap all in all.

As far as the wheel and tire combo, I have seen plenty with the 14" HX rim setup getting good mileage compared to the original 13" VX rims. If I am currently getting 40mpg with the transmission issue I am having, switching to the correct gearing "should" put me in the magic 50ish area. I can only hope.

Overall the swap runs excellent. Lean burn is really a cool feature, it feels like the engine just shuts off. I am very happy the way everything turned out and will be even happier when I fix my gearing issue. I am also glad to hear that my intake tube and header won't make that much of a difference.

Thanks again!!

Dave
dj1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:57 AM   #17
Registered Member

Yeah I don't see how larger tires could ever hurt you. I mean as long as you have sufficient power to accelerate and keep you happy then how can a lower RPM be worse?

Cow: I can't seem to register on those forums but they look good. I just looked it up and apparently I have the 3.73:1 gears, that suprises me but probably explains why it has so much get up and go. Not sure it'd be worth the hassle for the ~9% gain, but the reason it crossed my mind was because I've been noticing drippings from the rear diff and I'm sure it could use a flush, fill, seal anyway.

Any ideas how such a change would affect my torque converter lockup? Right now it locks at about 43-45, but I'm not sure if that's rpm based or some kind of pressure (rpm related). I mean if it's VSS based I don't want to be locking up at speedo 45 which will actually be 49 now.
itjstagame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #18
Registered Member

3.73 is probably the most common ratio that GM puts in their full size trucks. 4.10 is optional for those who would sacrifice FE for power, and I don't know if they usually offer a taller (lower-numbered) ratio for those less interested in going fast.

I suspect it would increase the speed at which you lockup. I think lockup is controlled by engine load and RPM, similar to how gears are selected. My truck uses a PWM signal from the PCM to lock the TC, but if you're lucky then yours uses a plain 12 volts, which would make it very easy to hack in a TC switch that allows you to take control and manually lock/unlock it.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:08 AM   #19
Registered Member

Here's something else to keep in mind. From what I have heard, 3000RPM is sufficiently high to engage VTEC on a D15Z1.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:37 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
3.73 is probably the most common ratio that GM puts in [...] and I don't know if they usually offer a taller (lower-numbered) ratio
I was bored last night and looked at the GM truck forum and saw that indeed, there are 3.42 and 3.23 ratios available factory equipment, at least in some years and models.