It has become clear to me that Insights have lots of issues... issues with the catalytic converts, IMA battery packs, and a few other small things. The only problem is that repairs costs an arm and a leg, and the only people who will actually do the work are the dealerships. It's almost impossible to find a mechanic comfortable working on a hybrid.
so, the Insight (A decent one) will cost about $7000-8000. We're looking at 50-60 MPG... possibly more if I do highway driving, which I don't.
Found a 1992 VX (160k on motor) within a 10 hour drive for $2600.
here is a thought... buy the VX... take the z1 engine out of my frankencivic and sell the shell. Take the VX rims off of the frankencivic and swap for the rims/wheels on the VX now. Keep the z1 engine in my garage until I need to replace it. i'll be losing some money on the frankencivic sell, but that's assuming it'll sell anyway. Besides, having a spare engine isn't bad, is it?
Meh... this whole decision making process sucks...
With a VX, I KNOW that if something breaks I can fix it myself... or it can be done cheaply at a shop. With an Insight... not so sure. A new Cat for an obd1 Civic VX would be cheap. Besides, I already have one here... thanks Bunger.
Cost wise, it makes perfect sense to go for the VX. I'm starting to think that it makes sense emotionally too, as I wouldn't have to worry about little gremlins in the VX as much as I would the Insight.
I'm not the smart one in this, but it sounds like the VX gives you more control over your destiny. Nothing to say you can't get an Insight later. Maybe someone will come up a cheaper 3rd party battery solution by then.
The red VX looks like real clean, I would go with the VX, save money and when you will be ready, buy a Prius in a few years (a new one maybe).
On the other hand, the Insight is great car with big potenciel, more expansive, but worth more than a new (most).
I'm really starting to think that if money (saving it) is a big factor, which it is... then the VX makes the most sense.
I could remove my z1 from the frankencivic for a spare, and sell off what I don't need... sell the shell for $300 or so...maybe less. it's wired for obd1 after all. It all seems like a very viable option. Now I just need to get the VX purchased.
If money is the issue [when isn't it?] get the VX. No worries about future battery replacement and it is a breeze to work on. Best of all you can get the debt monkey off of your back while at it. It sounds like you already have a solid plan, you just haven't bought into it yet.