W00t! Approaching 60 MPG after the Drop! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-06-2006, 03:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

W00t! Approaching 60 MPG after the Drop!

Before this morning, my best trip to work was 55.0 MPG. Today, under very similar conditions, it was 58.4! Same temps (28-30F), same road conditions (dry), similar wind conditions (less than 10 mph), same trip attributes (made the important lights). The only difference that I can find is the lower ride height. The benefit is better cornering (saving momentum) and longer, higher speed coasting.

Of course this is not a very scientific test but at least the MPG didn't suffer. The ride was bumpier, but not at all unbearable. It didn't take long to get used to.

My best trip home was 51.4 MPG at 41F, dry roads with a 10 MPH headwind. Weather.com says that on the drive home it will be 37F, dry with a 9 MPH headwind. Hopefully I can improve upon the 51.4 personal best this evening.

Later this week the temps will be 40's morning and 60's evening. Unfortunately rain is in the forcast. Not perfect conditions, but hopefully better than today.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #2
Registered Member

now i know for sure

now i know for sure areodynamics matters for coasting.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
*shrug*

Quote:The only difference

Quote:
The only difference that I can find is the lower ride height
What ever happened with the new thermostat? How about the engine block heater?

Very impressive numbers, sir, how was the drive back?

If I ever finish my MPFI swap I'll be having the same engine as you, but I'm sure the transmission, route, and my sucking will make my numbers much worse.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

Re: Quote:The only difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Quote:
The only difference that I can find is the lower ride height
What ever happened with the new thermostat? How about the engine block heater?
I installed the thermostat and EBH on the same day as the SuperMID. All numbers used for comparison include the thermostat and EBH turned on one hour before leaving in the morning. No EBH before the drive home. The thermostat is acting funny, actually it seems like it takes longer to get to normal temp and then drops down. Its almost like my original was a 192 and the new one was a 172. I an going to put the old one back in to see if things go back to normal. Another problem could be that i cant get all of the air out of the system.

Quote:
Very impressive numbers, sir, how was the drive back?
The trip back was 50.90, just short of my best return trip of 51.39. I did have a bit of a traffic jam that hurt. Without it I would have equalled the 51.39 at least. But certainly not 3 MPG higher like the morning trip. So far it looks like the lowering helps the morning trip, but not the evening trip. That doesn't make sense. More data points to come.

On a related note, the SuperMID says this tank is at 370 miles, 51.4 MPG. The digital fuel gauge shows 54.0 MPG. Perhaps I over compensated for the SuperMID over registration. Perhaps another tweak is in order after my next fill. I hope so anyway.

Quote:
If I ever finish my MPFI swap I'll be having the same engine as you, but I'm sure the transmission, route, and my sucking will make my numbers much worse.
You can't do anything about your route, so yes, that sucks. But all you have to do is head west for a visit. After a few prcatice runs you will be in the 60's.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
*shrug*

Quote:You can't do anything

Quote:
You can't do anything about your route, so yes, that sucks. But all you have to do is head west for a visit. After a few prcatice runs you will be in the 60's.
Not with this damn auto, . I've been driving my mom's car recently and got 80 extra miles at the half tank point than usual, so I'm happy with that. I took it to redline like 30 times prolly also, .
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote