Watch & enlighten - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Also why we run 86 octane fuel instead of 87 like they have at the coast.

Everything I read points to us supposedly having better mileage up here but it doesn't happen.

On the motorcycle i do though, it tops out about 75-80 (top speed doesn't change with altitude, just how fast you get to it does) and at seal level it gets about 60mpg at those speeds while up here i'm getting around 70-75 mpg.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #22
Site Team / Moderator

Another thing to consider at high altitude... The air is less dense so in theory your areo drag should be less...

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #23
Registered Member

jeep45238,

you can see the IAT reading via your scangauge. as for the arguement about the altitude. I understand the theory that you are using but obviously there are more affects to high altitude than just thinner air.

my drive is 20 miles one way (40 per day) also of note is that my instantaneous MPG were lower before the WAI. I can't explain the altitude arguement but with the WAI you are just changing one variable, not the entire environment of the car.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
Beef - I'm aware I can see the IAT reading - but that sensor is about 8 inches away from ambient air, right behind the headlight - and the air has to go through about 2.5 feet worth of black plastic that's heated by an engine bay for a whole drive. That's my only point - without relocating it toward the throttle body, it's not accurate - the air is warmer than where the IAT is, but by how much is unknown.

jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #25
Registered Member

my incoming air moves pretty fast, I don't think you can heat soak air but so much. in the same respect, I run my air along side my header for the heat which is much hotter than the IAT is saying that it is. the air comes by the header so fast that the temp difference has to be substantial to get the air to increase in temp enough to matter.

good luck to you in your choice but a lot of saturn guys on here have seen pretty good gains from a WAI. that is your choice.

also, you know that it isn't that hard to relocate. if you care that much

Old 09-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #26
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
It is possible that GM took that into account and the sensor or the way the ecu reads it is offset from the factory to compensate for that.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #27
Registered Member

Beef,
I've already said I'm going to do it. Remove the airbox silencer, enlarge the hole a small amount, toss in a piece of exhaust flex pipe, it's done on that front.

I'd solder in a wire extension for the IAT to relocate the sensor at the throttle body. Yes, I am that finiky.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
It is possible that GM took that into account and the sensor or the way the ecu reads it is offset from the factory to compensate for that.
The only fault with that is the readings would not be consistent on a summer day with a warm engine and a winter day with a warm engine.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:04 PM   #29
Registered Member

one more thing, if you are planning on doing it, you may want to fabricate some sort of heat shield to go between the front of the car and the header. I have a pic in my garage. you can't see my IAT sensor in the pic but it is just in front of the throttle body (also not in the pic).

I used metal flasing from lowes to do this.

on a side note: how did this spam thread turn into a full blown discussion about the WAI vs CAI. I think we have already had this arguement too many times in the past.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:29 PM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
one more thing, if you are planning on doing it, you may want to fabricate some sort of heat shield to go between the front of the car and the header. I have a pic in my garage. you can't see my IAT sensor in the pic but it is just in front of the throttle body (also not in the pic).

I used metal flasing from lowes to do this.

on a side note: how did this spam thread turn into a full blown discussion about the WAI vs CAI. I think we have already had this arguement too many times in the past.
I've got some scrap 22 gauge sheet I was planning on using for that. Interestingly enough, there's a psuedo grill block on the saturns - the radiator is not exposed to the air from the grill directly. Pretty slick if you ask me.

It wasn't an argument - just saying in theory both can give better mileage, but that warm air gives bigger gains.