Watch & enlighten

Hi
I came across this really informative video
Check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPd_2_IvKIw

Denise Spenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:39 AM   #2
Registered Member

that is a strange video to be putting on this site.

I don't think that most of us care about power and it has been proven that warmer/hotter air actually yields better MPG.

that is almost like trying to sell beef (at a good price) to vegetarians

btw: is this supposed to be spam?

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:50 AM   #3
Site Team

If I don't see some useful commentary on this thread from the author within 24 hours, I'll consider it spam and delete it.

Otherwise, I'd like to hear the author discuss the relevance of this thread and how it pertains to increasing fuel economy.

-Bob C.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.
...or at least something vaguely avian.

Since we're talking about ducks, were you aware that they have evolved maze-shaped genitalia in an "evolutionary arms race"?

http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/1277

(It's not like we were going to talk about saving gas in this thread.)
Old 09-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Registered Member

this may be a case where there actually is a person out there that didn't know that cooler air and a freer flowing intake can produce better power. I guess they are assuming that this equates into less gas used.

silly teenagers.lol

in all honesty it is almost definitely spam and needs to be deleted even though they aren't going to make any sales or money from posting it on this forum.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
Gah...specter. I hate that company with a passion.

While hot air intakes work by using less volume of oxygen per cubic foot of air the engine sucks, thus less fuel - the cold air one can work to save fuel as well if the driver is very easy on the foot.

In theory, they would use less throttle at the same RPM to produce the same power - while not as effective at fuel savings as the warm/hot air intake, there still is a bit of valid reasoning above it, but most people sink their foot into the throttle to enjoy the power or engine sounds - and there goes any potential gains right out the window.

Just a bit of sense in it - just a bit - if you've got discipline on your foot pushing.

jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #8
Registered Member

at idle and with no throttle applied, the cold air intake is taking in more oxygen than with a warm air intake and thus needs more fuel to burn it. as a person that coasts quite a bit, I would put my WAI up agains anyones CAI for better FE any day of the week.

also, my WAI was around $10 in parts and I have almost enough left over for another vehicle. CAI actually cost quite a bit (most of which is the free flowing filter which allows all kinds of crap into your engine).

Old 09-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
In theory, they would use less throttle at the same RPM to produce the same power
That would reduce efficiency by forcing the engine to suck air through a smaller throttle opening.
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22pumping+losses%22
Old 09-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
Beef - I agree with you completely. Notice I said WAI has less O2 to burn per cubic foot, and nothing about idle consumption for a CAI (of course it will be worse - same RPM and load, more O2 per cubic foot = more fuel required to keep from going lean).

I'm going to be doing the warm air route here on the next fill up, along with relocating the IAT - it's not that I disbelieve the fuel economy benefits of making an engine produce less power at a given RPM, it's just that you can get an improvement over stock with a cold air - IF you're very careful on the throttle.

jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote