Ways to not make people mad - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2008, 06:27 PM   #41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
Don't do it when other people are on the road. It's dangerous and stupid.
I believe its the aggressive speeding people who create the dangerous situation.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #42
Site Team / Moderator

I agree. People going 15+ MPH over the limit and weaving in traffic create more of a hazzard than I do going 5 MPH under the limit, and staying in the right lane.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #43
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I agree. People going 15+ MPH over the limit and weaving in traffic create more of a hazzard than I do going 5 MPH under the limit, and staying in the right lane.

-Jay
Ahh but there is the meat of the problem. If LLB's weren't sitting in the left lanes with their "screw all others" attitude most of the #3 wannabee's could go on their merry way.
Most highway studies I have read say it's the pokes, not the speeders that cause most problems.

Unless your a LEO you have no right or even a reason to lane block.

Jim T.

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:26 AM   #44
Registered Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAteam View Post
So true. Some people out there will just continue to honk/highbeam/flash you even when you're doing all the right things. This is where I get pissed and I do things to spite them (like super DFCO below 40mph, which is illegal on the highway in Florida). Its hard to do much to people, so I usually just ignore them. I'm not sure what their problem is, maybe they're on a power trip.

I guess my suggestion is, when you're doing all the right things, ignore them. If you're merging onto an exit on from the fast lane (in the US, it would be the left lane), make some concessions and speed up if you feel its necessary. I probably wouldn't. But i'm a spiteful hypermiler.
In Ohio, the law doesn't have a lower speed limit in the laws, it says something about "impeding traffic". AFIK one pissed off person isn't "traffic". But I try really hard to "blend" with traffic. I will draft SUV's, and even other cars. Anything helps. I slow down and let merging traffic in front of me, even sometimes big rigs. Don't get me wrong, Iv had spiteful moments also. someone throwing their hands up in disgust behind me, then I let off, then they flash headlights, then I really slow down, fingers being flipped at me. But really safety should come first. I would just feel terrible if I were the subject of bad press against hypermilers, so I try and behave...
Old 09-28-2008, 05:45 AM   #45
Registered Member

Drive an unusual looking car. Then people get busy staring at your car and forget about being pissed.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:53 AM   #46
Site Team / Moderator

You have the unusual car part perfected... Maybe I should craft a boattail for the rear of my Buick? Sounds cool (but a lot of work) It probably would make the trunk unaccessible.

-Jay

Old 09-28-2008, 05:54 AM   #47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
Drive an unusual looking car. Then people get busy staring at your car and forget about being pissed.
and prolly slow down w/ you to get a better look!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:14 AM   #48
Site Team / Moderator

In the BWH or Rusty people probably assume that the vehicle won't go much faster (and in Rusty's case, they're probably right)

-Jay

Old 09-28-2008, 03:18 PM   #49
Registered Member

Just grow a thicker skin and ignore them, let them get mad about nothing, they'll just have to learn to be patient. I used to go 40 mph in my toyota corolla diesel as that was the magic number for FE, people went crazy behind me!If they want to take a risk over taking stupidly that's also their problem.Just go a slower route and they can over take in a safe place.

After all if they have an accident the police aren't going to prosecute you for dangerous driving it's the idiot overtaking who's gonna get it...NO matter how mad they were about you going slower!
african_andy189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:58 PM   #50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Some apparently WANT to be behind. They WANT to be annoyed. How else to explain this:
Two lane rural road posted at 50 mph. Very light traffic. About half no passing zone. I'm ghosting along at 42 to 45, just enough to remain in 5th gear in automatic. Someone comes up close behind. When the passing zone opens up I put on my right blinker, pull as far to the side as is possible, lower my window and use my arm to signal the driver to pass here where it's safe. No taker.
Still on my bumper, next passing zone same action, but I slow to 30 to allow less time required for him to pass and expecting that at that speed he'll be more likely to. Nope. he slowed down too.
I returned to the 40+ mph. Next passing section, blinker on, window down, 'come around' arm motion, slowed to 20 mph. The follower matches my speed, starts flashing his lights, but makes absolutely no attempt to pass or otherwise take charge of his own destiny.
Frikkin' masochist! Next passing zone I make no attempt to help him get the hint. My window went down, but this time my wave was only 20% of what it had been.
why would you put on your blinker? to the person behind you that means your pulling off the road hence probably not going to go around you untill you are off the road completely, next time just keep a speed and move over to the right hand side of your lane and they will pass when they want to. i move to the left of my lane when no passing zone is near then as soon as its over a move back to the right of the lane. kinda prevents the retards from passing in a no passing. that and i notice some people dont mind following slower people. ive had a few followers when im just going along going about 57mph... heck i had some people following behind me when i was goin 50 in a 55 stayed back had no intention of passing...

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote