Weight reduction - not always good? - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2007, 05:36 PM   #41
Registered Member

So for cars weighing the same positioning the weight just right will yeild longer glides

97tercel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:37 PM   #42
Registered Member

Ya, baddog, the kind of hills where a little more weight might theoretically help would be hills where you would never hit the brakes on the way down. More weight is a sure loser if you are having to press the brakes going down hills.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #43
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to baddog671
Bill, I live in Western Maryland and the "hills" I'm talking about, I drive differently than "declines". Coming down a decline I generally put it in neutral and just coast until I either hit a light,traffic, or speed up becuase Im going to slow.

A hill (a mountain if you will, but these are the Appalachins) I may ride the brakes nearly the entire way down or "pulse" the brakes. Otherwise I would gain way too much speed and loose control of the vehicle. But coming up these hills suck soo much gas since they are so steep.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:49 PM   #44
Registered Member

Edit* I thought you were disagreeing with me so I was defending myself.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #45
Registered Member

The derby analogy only applies if you are fortunate enough to drive downhill everywhere you go.

I had a girlfriend once that use to jog a circular route around her neighborhood and claimed it was a great workout because it was uphill the entire way :-)
lca13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:45 AM   #46
Registered Member

I know that neighborhood. Here's the house of a friend that lives there:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	esc-e23.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	531  

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:15 AM   #47
Team GasMisers5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Yes however with a super light car (or a lighter one) you would give it a smaller engine because that would be sufficient for real world needs. Huge engine in small car (as in sports car) would be very fast but if aiming for FE, you'd be at very low throttle most of the time so you'd be far from the sweet spot.
I was talking about weight reduction without changing the engine - most people on here don't change engines.

However, if you did massive weight reduction, and put in a 2 cylinder tiny engine that worked at the best efficiency, it would be better.

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lca13 View Post
I had a girlfriend once that use to jog a circular route around her neighborhood and claimed it was a great workout because it was uphill the entire way :-)
She should have just run the other way... :-)
Old 06-23-2007, 02:57 PM   #49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
I was talking about weight reduction without changing the engine - most people on here don't change engines.

However, if you did massive weight reduction, and put in a 2 cylinder tiny engine that worked at the best efficiency, it would be better.
Yugo's had a 2 cyclinder, 1.1 Litre if I remember correctly. They weren't very well designed though and were less powerful than my 1.0 L. Wonder how the FE was though...
Old 06-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #50
Team GasMisers5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog671 View Post
Yugo's had a 2 cyclinder, 1.1 Litre if I remember correctly. They weren't very well designed though and were less powerful than my 1.0 L. Wonder how the FE was though...
They actually had a 45-horsepower 4-cylinder (Yugo 45A), and they were the butt of many jokes in Europe!. They were basically old-design Fiats (can't remember which one), so were very out-of-date. The economy probably wasn't too bad, but they were carburettor. Other 'recycled' Fiat car companies include Lada, and 'FSO' (a polish car company making the 'Polonez Prima'. This was so rubbish that, after 6 years, the body panels would actually rust through and fall off I remember, 15 years ago, I saw a 1988 one on a paper-round I used to do, with duck-tape along the seams of the wings etc, because they had completely rusted through and were about to fall off.

The Fiat 126 BIS had a 2-cylinder engine, and it was light, and very small (so a low frontal area). Cd wouldn't have been that good but CdA probably was. With some aero work it would probably be unbeatable, especially as an electric car.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_126

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote