What can I do? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #31
Registered Member

I figured it did, but I thought, you know I better check with the experts on this one.

Has anyone experimented with "drafting" on their daily commute, it sure helps Jeff Gordon save fuel on Sundays. I would assume this works in the real world situations too. How close should I get to the back of the next car?

Greeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #32
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Drafting can and does help many people. It is NOT done the way that Jeff Gordon does it, though. Instead, find a 53' box trailer and keep a 2 to 3 second following distance. Don't follow flatbeds or anything that can be converted to a flatbed, since you're more likely to find rocks falling off of them.

Tailgating is dangerous and illegal, and the turbulence directly behind a common road vehicle will actually reduce your fuel economy.

There is a link in my sig to a good discussion on drafting.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeen View Post
I figured it did, but I thought, you know I better check with the experts on this one.

Has anyone experimented with "drafting" on their daily commute, it sure helps Jeff Gordon save fuel on Sundays. I would assume this works in the real world situations too. How close should I get to the back of the next car?
i do that if i find an 18 wheeler thats going at a decent speed. i pulled 24mpg in my navigator 1 time drafting 1 from new braunsfels to san antonio.
08 Lincoln Navigator: really crappy gas mileage
Gas Guzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #34
Registered Member

So I guess I don't need to keep the grill guard for bump drafting
Greeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #35
Registered Member

In about 1972 or so a friend of mine had a '62 Ford Country Sedan with a 390...four barrel carb...probably very similar to the car shown. He got about 8 mpg average out of it. And yes, he did keep track, even then. But....he did have a lot of fun on dates in that car!

Quote:
Well I've been doing my research and I found a hell of a deal on a beater car, it says it has a 390 FE motor. Does that stand for fuel efficient?

Here is the car I found.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
I was looking more for modifications. I'm pretty sure I would hate myself if I had to drive little 4 banger everyday, plus I do have a few trailers I pull on occasion.
Are you trolling or are you serious?

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:43 AM   #37
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
In about 1972 or so a friend of mine had a '62 Ford Country Sedan with a 390...four barrel carb...probably very similar to the car shown. He got about 8 mpg average out of it. And yes, he did keep track, even then. But....he did have a lot of fun on dates in that car!
That car looks like it could host a lot of fun dates...simultaneously!
Old 08-12-2009, 05:39 AM   #38
Site Team / Moderator

I would totally buy that wagon. I miss my old Bonneville wagon. Here's a pic of me with it in the summer of 1989:

My dream wagon? An Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser, or a Pontiac Grand Safari.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:48 AM   #39
Registered Member

Quote:
I've got a big grill guard on the front, does that hurt my mileage any? Wouldnt driving 55 mph really anger the people driving the speed limit of 70 mph,
If you want to keep the grille guard, wind string or speaker wire around it. Long spirals, about 3 inch spacing.

Many car antennas sport this kind of turbulence control device as do tall cylindrical smoke stacks.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #40
Registered Member

On a short commute, a warm intake and grill block could help the truck get up to operating temp faster.

I would also recommend a Scangauge. The instant feedback of what you're driving style is doing helps. Plus, it'll let you monitor engine and air intake temps with changes to the intake or grill. The Xgauge function might let you also monitor transmission temps.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote