What cheap new cars do we "like"? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-18-2012, 03:26 AM   #31
Registered Member

Re: What cheap new cars do we "like"?

We love our Fit. Check out our gaslog. It's my wife's daily driver, and she does not hypermile. When I drive it, I get as high as 45 mpg for a tank.

When you look at the Fit, ask them to demonstrate the rear seat. I think it's the most innovative part of the car.

It is also notable that after about 30,000 miles, we have not replaced a wiper blade, headlight bulb, or anything else on the car. Just gas, change the oil, and go.

The 2 would be up there in the running for me. I would have to drive one if I were go to shopping again.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #32
Registered Member

Ditching the spare seems to a prevailing trend now. IIRC, Chevy charges $100 for one with the Cruze, and I've heard Hyundai charges as much as Fiat, but their site doesn't state whether or not the spare is standard.

trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit352 View Post
In a surprising turn of events the fiat is out of the running. I went to pay for one in cash today, nothing fancy just a middle of the line up car. As im handing over the cash I look at the price breakdown and notice a charge for $350 dollars. I ask what thats for and they just casually toss out "its the charge for a spare tire". I lost my mind. How can anyone possibly convince themselves that could sell a single not-even full size spare for that much. Thats like 3% of the cars total. They offered to remove it but it was to late at that point. if there gonna gouge me that bad when im trying to pay for it imagine what would happen once they got my money and i needed a part.
In another turn of events the Honda Fit has taken the lead. Looks like people are able to pull 40 plus out of it and my wife kind of likes it. We havent driven it yet but hope to this weekend. The mazda2 is also still a consideration but we will see. I know i can get one for 13.5 otd with everything i want but i think the Hondas gonna push 18k. If its that much of a better car its probably worth it.
I know a couple guys with Fits, and they are kinda fanatical about them. I figure there must be a pretty good reason for that, so they must be good cars. I've never driven one, and I have never had the pleasure of one coming into the shop, so I can't really say anything about them. Top Gear thought the Honda Jazz (We call it a Fit in the US) was the second best car on UK's roads. If the guys on Top Gear think a non-British, non-supercar, car is good, then it must be amazing.

I betcha that Fiat dealer tries to call you back. I hate the no spare trend. I still have a hard time accepting the fact you cannot get full size spares.
madnessspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIND View Post
I know a couple guys with Fits, and they are kinda fanatical about them. I figure there must be a pretty good reason for that, so they must be good cars. I've never driven one, and I have never had the pleasure of one coming into the shop, so I can't really say anything about them. Top Gear thought the Honda Jazz (We call it a Fit in the US) was the second best car on UK's roads. If the guys on Top Gear think a non-British, non-supercar, car is good, then it must be amazing.

I betcha that Fiat dealer tries to call you back. I hate the no spare trend. I still have a hard time accepting the fact you cannot get full size spares.
Well if jeremy says it is then i gotta believe it.

Couple things the fit has thats tough to beat is an actual timing chain and a spare tire. The fact that people are hitting over 40mpg on a regular basis is also very good.
kit352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #35
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

My 2008 VW Rabbit, complete base model (only option was an iPod dock), came by default with a full size spare. In 45,000 miles and 3 years I never needed it as a spare but I did rotate it in to use its tread.

I'm not willing to leave my spares at home but I wouldn't sweat it if my new car came sans spare. I can't remember the last time I changed a spare roadside. I did plug one tire in my yard after discovering it was low while driving a few years ago, and plugging it roadside would beat struggling roadside with a crappy jack on a muddy hill and lug nuts that were gorilla-torqued...
Old 01-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #36

I personally could care less about a spare tire but I do view it as a one of the biggest safety items a car can have. Im driving an old beater saturn with only tiny airbags and i did remove the spare tire but this car is for my wife. God forbid if she breaks down in a bad location or doesnt have cell signal which is fairly common around me. She can change the tire herself but if its not there she's dead in the water. The fact that the fit actually still has a spare in my mind speaks volumes about the company and they dont charge for it. Its not an option its a must. Basically fiat lost an $18k sale because of an at most $50 part and now honda is going to get my 18k because they have it and arent charging me $350 for it.
kit352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIND View Post

Well-said (from a biased Fit owner).

I only have 2 gripes about my Fit: It has some engine thrum at 70+ mph (although it is quiet enough at idle that I have tried to start it while running a couple of times) and I think it can use a 6th gear. Honda has updated the 2012 version with more sound insulation and thicker front quarter windows, which is supposed to take care of the noise issue. It revs high on the highway, but so do most Hondas.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #38
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
My 2008 VW Rabbit, complete base model (only option was an iPod dock), came by default with a full size spare. In 45,000 miles and 3 years I never needed it as a spare but I did rotate it in to use its tread.

I'm not willing to leave my spares at home but I wouldn't sweat it if my new car came sans spare. I can't remember the last time I changed a spare roadside. I did plug one tire in my yard after discovering it was low while driving a few years ago, and plugging it roadside would beat struggling roadside with a crappy jack on a muddy hill and lug nuts that were gorilla-torqued...
I've had to change a tire roadside a few times. I had to do it 4 or 5 times in my '99 Si, and I only put about 45,000 on the car. I have not had a flat since. However, I hate trying to find a hole in the tire on the side of the road, and not all holes can be plugged. 2 of my flats were due to sidewall punctures. Can they be repaired with a plug? (I'm not trying to be a smart-alak, I really don't know)

I prefer having a spare. I am usually the one who tightens the lugs anyway. I can get them off with the lug wrench. I used to carry a 4-way lug wrench in the car when I only had one. Now that I have three, I keep it in the garage. I keep a towel or two to kneel on and a pair of gloves in the trunk (or in the hiccup truck, behind the seat). If I get a flat in town, I pull into a parking lot. If I get one on the highway or interstate, there is usually enough shoulder for me to get the job done.

What I dislike is that auto manufacturers are taking away our option for the spare, or are charging us extra as a hidden fee.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:51 AM   #39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
Well-said (from a biased Fit owner).

I only have 2 gripes about my Fit: It has some engine thrum at 70+ mph (although it is quiet enough at idle that I have tried to start it while running a couple of times) and I think it can use a 6th gear. Honda has updated the 2012 version with more sound insulation and thicker front quarter windows, which is supposed to take care of the noise issue. It revs high on the highway, but so do most Hondas.
I forgot that you're looking for an automatic. That takes care of the 6th gear gripe, as the gearing is taller for the automatics. The engine noise should also be reduced at highway speeds. In addition, the automatic Fit Sports get paddle shifters.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:47 AM   #40
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
2 of my flats were due to sidewall punctures. Can they be repaired with a plug? (I'm not trying to be a smart-alak, I really don't know)
Sidewall punctures can be plugged, but it's not legal for a shop to do that and I wouldn't expect it to hold for long. As a roadside repair it would probably be fine to drive on for a few days until you can get to the shop and have a new tire mounted.

How are you getting sidewall punctures? I've only had sidewall destruction from rubbing against a sharp rock, hitting potholes, or being underinflated and overspeed. I've had punctures at the very edge of the tread but nothing actually in the sidewall.

Quote:
I used to carry a 4-way lug wrench in the car when I only had one. Now that I have three, I keep it in the garage. I keep a towel or two to kneel on and a pair of gloves in the trunk (or in the hiccup truck, behind the seat).
Why not get more 4-way lug wrenches? They're easy enough to find for $5, and the cheapies work fine. I keep one in each vehicle.

+1 on towels and gloves. I keep plastic material to put under the towel in case the ground is wet, too. Sometimes I keep crappy clothes to change into if in case I'm wearing nice office clothes when it happens...but I never need to use any of that stuff so most of it gets removed when I do a cleaning (then slowly sneaks in when I get worried about it).