What cheap new cars do we "like"? - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #41

Re: What cheap new cars do we "like"?

my standard road gear in every car i own is a decent boxed set of most tools, and backpack of cold weather gear and change of clothing (usually just older clothes that im embarressed to be seen in but not enough to toss it out), usual spares that come with the car and a piece of 2x6 to support the jack if its in a bad location.

kit352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
I think it can use a 6th gear.
You can't swap a lower final drive from another Honda?

madnessspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #43
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIND View Post
You can't swap a lower final drive from another Honda?
Doubt it.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
How are you getting sidewall punctures? I've only had sidewall destruction from rubbing against a sharp rock, hitting potholes, or being underinflated and overspeed. I've had punctures at the very edge of the tread but nothing actually in the sidewall.
The bridge on my street was being replaced. It took 2 years. I kept getting nails in the construction zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Why not get more 4-way lug wrenches? They're easy enough to find for $5, and the cheapies work fine. I keep one in each vehicle.
I don't feel like carrying a lot of extra stuff in the trunk. In my old Civics, there was not enough room between the trunk floor and the spare, and I don't want it flying around in the trunk. I'd also want to have enough clearance in the trunk to wrap it in a towel so it doesn't rattle.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #45

So we both hated the fit. It drove nice and handled well but the interior is aweful. Its got so many angles and edges its like a starship. Rear seat is neat but the car just didnt do it.
We both prefered the mazda2 to it. While its not really in the same class it did everything we asked of it and the styling wasnt aimed for a 17 year old. It was just a nice simple car that surpised us both.
We did end up with a 2012 civic hf. They are rebating the hell out of these new civics. Sticker was 21ish and we walked otd for 19k. In the end it ended up being about $800 more than the fit sport but its just a better car. We would have gone with the mazda2 but once we started getting into the dealer delivery and added costs it quickly got out of control in price. What started out as a 14k leftover ended up costing over 17k.
The hf is really nice. Rated at 41mpg highway but claims are its in the mid to upper 40's. We will find out soon enough but i dont think ill be able to gas log it since my wife just wont do it. Ill have to try to track her mileage claims and cross reference them to our credit cards to see when she fills up.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #46

On that, I might suggest seeing about getting her into Fuelly.

Nothing to remember, no receipts to save. All tracking can be done with a simple txt at the pump while she's getting gas, and the gaslog on fuelly updates automatically with the information that is texted to their server.

Probably much easier to get her to track it that way then with the GS fuel logs. (Sorry guys)
Wyldesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #47
Registered Member

Hope you enjoy your new Honda!
hondaguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #48

In another surprise twist we also bought the mazda2 today. One of our other cars is getting long in the tooth and we got a new one for a steal at 14k otd. I should be able to get a fuel log on this one. I hope to see low 40's based on everyone elses fuel logs.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #49
Registered Member

I know this is an oldish thread but I stopped posting here after I bought my Fit and didn't have to worry about FE anymore. I just traded mine off on a new Civic. I learned about a year after I bought my Fit in 2009 that the Civic is a much better car when I rented one on a trip. They just don't compare. The only thing the Fit has going for it is lower price (barely) and the cargo space (which I do love). But it was such a slow, buzzy little thing that I just couldn't take it. A rock took out my a/c condenser (frequent Fit occurrence) and I used it as an excuse to get a Civic Si. I don't care what anyone says about the 2012 Civic. Commute for 2+ hours a day and you will be crazy not to pick the Civic for any reason, including FE. After 2 years, I could barely keep my mileage in the mid 30s, even though I do 99% highway at or below the speed limit. So far in the civic (and this is w/ a 2.4l), I can make a few trips up to vtec happy land in a tank and still stay in the mid 30's without even trying.

Sorry, rant over...I just feel like I just got out of jail.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #50
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo

I get a kick out of these little cars struggling to get into the 40's while I get low to mid 40's all the time with my 2006 Scion XB and have tons of room for big people!
My girlfriend was looking for a new car and she has it down to a Scion xD or a Hyundai Veloster which would be my choice because of the larger fuel tank and higher gas mileage. No point in getting a car that can't get from Newport RI to NY and back on a tank of gas. The no spare issue in the Veloster is covered by a tank of tire sealer and an electric compressor to pump it in and inflate the tire. The sidewalls are low profile and the wheels and tires are not cheap so no spare seems to work ok. It also comes with roadside assistance for 5 or 6 years unlimited mileage. The only concern is the direct injection engine is new to Hyundai and has not been totally proven long term.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote