I bet your car is like a Saturns DRLs. Simply pull the relay though there is a little more to it than that, no wire cutting involved. I frown on wire cutting now, a few weeks ago I cut some wires and did some shoddy soldering and blew a fuse. replaced it with a Chinese fuse from Harbor Freight and caught my Smart on fire. Just burnt up that particular harness which consisted of 5 wires an a little more. About $300 damage if I repair myself - working with HF to get compensation.
Last weekend I completed adding a Lokar shifter in my street rod (I've made mention of it before in a few posts and now it is added to "My Garage" since a few have asked about it). This weekend I took it on a 200 mile test run. Ran great though I think the linkage pulled a wire on the speed sensor since I lost my speedo, pulled over and pushed all the wires all the way back in and it worked fine.
No work on the cars today BUT I cleaned out a portion of my garage and cleaned and put away a lot of my tools after having them laying around for several months. I can now park another car in the garage, just did the math - if I cleaned out the whole garage I could park 40 Smarts in there with room to spare! Right now I'm lucky to fit one in there.
cutting wires and modifying the electrical system isn't what really scares me, it is not having the proper documentation and just going on what some random person says on the internet (no offense to anyone).
I really need to just get a book on my car. I don't have a DRL fuse or relay as far as I can tell. this is more of a side project for me. the new 5-door yaris' are at the dealership and I am trying to resist the urge to go and buy one.
wasabi, I always though that it was cool that you have a pic of your naked smart cars. like taking pics of your kids in the bath when they are really young. lol
Be the change you wish to see in the world
I drove it, put gas in it, and experimented with gliding again. SG was reporting 19.5 MPG (and my mileage is always better than SG reports, no matter how well I try to dial it in.). One thing though, gliding doesn't seem to work well on the highway, even with my meager aero mods. Seems that if I shift into Neutral I just loose speed. Tried drafting a semi, and SG was reporting ~ 14MPG so I just dropped back and let him go. Gliding does work great on city/neighborhood streets though. It will glide with almost no speed loss @ 25 MPH on the ever so slightest downhill grade. Must be the new tires letting me do that.
This weekend was spent working on the "fast" car, not the daily driver.
Went to the drive-on dyno and made some pulls, then I fired up the nitrous system and really used up some fuel. Car ran quite well, especially considering the nitrous hasn't been used in about 6 years. End result was a very nice, flat, broad torque curve peaking at 380 ft-lbs at 3900 RPM, but it was above 340 ft-lbs from 2600 to 5200 RPM. Peak torque on the nitrous was a hair under 496 ft-lbs, but the mixture was PIG rich (between 9.5 and 10.2 :1 air-fuel ratio).
Bought a compression tester kit and a remote starter switch so I can crank the car while under the hood and test compression alone.
Saturn has been having VERY dull power lately, I'm wondering if there's internal problems (or possible a plugged up cat) although there are no engine codes. Gaining speed is like a chore, the car just DOESN'T WANT TO DO IT.
Never got around to testing it though. Spent Sunday getting my Camaro back on the road... took this pic w/ my cell phone. Click the link below to view!