What did you do to your ride this weekend? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #1

What did you do to your ride this weekend?

I disabled the DRL's
added 2 ground wires, on to the head near the fuel rail and one to the alternator mount. Also added a fan warning light.

Not a lot to be gained really but every little bit will add up.

BBsGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
Registered Member

I was thinking about disabling my DRLs. I am a little worried about cutting wires. I can't find a diagram online for my car and am too cheap to purchase a book on my car.

I did find this web site www.lightsout.org but am not sure if I should trust what they say as they have a HUGE disclaimer on their.

let us know if disabling the DRLs does much. I purely want to do it for FE. I don't really care either way if they are on if it doesn't affect my mileage.

if anyone knows where free wiring diagrams for older autos can be found on the web, I would be verry appreciative.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:41 PM   #3

are there any cavalier forums?
I found lots of help on two different toyota ones.
BBsGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:51 PM   #4

I bet your car is like a Saturns DRLs. Simply pull the relay though there is a little more to it than that, no wire cutting involved. I frown on wire cutting now, a few weeks ago I cut some wires and did some shoddy soldering and blew a fuse. replaced it with a Chinese fuse from Harbor Freight and caught my Smart on fire. Just burnt up that particular harness which consisted of 5 wires an a little more. About $300 damage if I repair myself - working with HF to get compensation.

Last weekend I completed adding a Lokar shifter in my street rod (I've made mention of it before in a few posts and now it is added to "My Garage" since a few have asked about it). This weekend I took it on a 200 mile test run. Ran great though I think the linkage pulled a wire on the speed sensor since I lost my speedo, pulled over and pushed all the wires all the way back in and it worked fine.

No work on the cars today BUT I cleaned out a portion of my garage and cleaned and put away a lot of my tools after having them laying around for several months. I can now park another car in the garage, just did the math - if I cleaned out the whole garage I could park 40 Smarts in there with room to spare! Right now I'm lucky to fit one in there.
BumblingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:28 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vxdude
I replaced the fuel filter and added a highway glider plate to the front
vxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:29 AM   #6
Registered Member

cutting wires and modifying the electrical system isn't what really scares me, it is not having the proper documentation and just going on what some random person says on the internet (no offense to anyone).

I really need to just get a book on my car. I don't have a DRL fuse or relay as far as I can tell. this is more of a side project for me. the new 5-door yaris' are at the dealership and I am trying to resist the urge to go and buy one.

wasabi, I always though that it was cool that you have a pic of your naked smart cars. like taking pics of your kids in the bath when they are really young. lol

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:47 AM   #7
Site Team / Moderator

I drove it, put gas in it, and experimented with gliding again. SG was reporting 19.5 MPG (and my mileage is always better than SG reports, no matter how well I try to dial it in.). One thing though, gliding doesn't seem to work well on the highway, even with my meager aero mods. Seems that if I shift into Neutral I just loose speed. Tried drafting a semi, and SG was reporting ~ 14MPG so I just dropped back and let him go. Gliding does work great on city/neighborhood streets though. It will glide with almost no speed loss @ 25 MPH on the ever so slightest downhill grade. Must be the new tires letting me do that.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:26 AM   #8
Registered Member

I got the first piston back into the the 1.3 liter engine I am rebuilding for my mpg engine swap.

In the next 2-3 weeks, I'll be pulling a strong running 1.5 liter with a 9.2:1 compression ratio from my 87 Civic and swapping in a 1.3 liter with a 10:1 compression ratio.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:13 AM   #9
Site Team

This weekend was spent working on the "fast" car, not the daily driver.

Went to the drive-on dyno and made some pulls, then I fired up the nitrous system and really used up some fuel. Car ran quite well, especially considering the nitrous hasn't been used in about 6 years. End result was a very nice, flat, broad torque curve peaking at 380 ft-lbs at 3900 RPM, but it was above 340 ft-lbs from 2600 to 5200 RPM. Peak torque on the nitrous was a hair under 496 ft-lbs, but the mixture was PIG rich (between 9.5 and 10.2 :1 air-fuel ratio).

-Bob C.

(sorry it's off-topic)
Old 10-06-2008, 08:04 AM   #10
Registered Member

Bought a compression tester kit and a remote starter switch so I can crank the car while under the hood and test compression alone.

Saturn has been having VERY dull power lately, I'm wondering if there's internal problems (or possible a plugged up cat) although there are no engine codes. Gaining speed is like a chore, the car just DOESN'T WANT TO DO IT.

Never got around to testing it though. Spent Sunday getting my Camaro back on the road... took this pic w/ my cell phone. Click the link below to view!

1994 Camaro Z28

I had forgotten how loud/fast/angry that car is... yikes!

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote