What engine/tranny for best GPM potential? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2007, 02:32 PM   #11
*shrug*

There are three versions of jdm d15b, on like the z1, one like the z6, and one like the dx motor, whose engine code I have forgotten, I feel old now.

Anyway, z1 for the win, no matter what.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
There are three versions of jdm d15b, on like the z1, one like the z6, and one like the dx motor, whose engine code I have forgotten, I feel old now.

Really? That surprises me since the Z1 has more valves, HP, and trq, but that is also a pleasant surprise. OK, you've convinced me. Now all I have to do is find one. Anyone?

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy

Hey, just out of curiosity, can I do any better with the JDM version of the Z1? It would have the three stage v-tec that Ryland was talking about, or would getting a JDM v-tec ECU do the same thing...?
Old 01-02-2007, 09:06 PM   #14
*shrug*

The jdm d15b vtec-e is not the 3 stage d15b, the 3 stage is only 96-00 and is very hard to get up and running properly since you need to go obd2 and find the proper (rare) ecu.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:28 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
the z1 engine acts like a 12 valve engine under 2,500rpm, and puts out a fair amount of low speed toruqe (good), and because of this, it's valve timing is tuned to alow it to run rather efficently at lower rpm, but if you do happen to rev it up past 2,500rpm that is when the variable valve timing (v-tec) kicks in, and opens up those extra 4 valves (giving it a total of 2 intake, and 2 exaust per cylender) preventing the engine from being totaly gutless, this ability is really handy when mearging in to buisy roads, or highways, if you were to take a look at the power band of the z1 it would be much wider/more useable, with just enough power where you need it, and a bit more waiting, if you down shift or rev it up.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland
the z1 engine acts like a 12 valve engine under 2,500rpm, and puts out a fair amount of low speed toruqe (good), and because of this, it's valve timing is tuned to alow it to run rather efficently at lower rpm, but if you do happen to rev it up past 2,500rpm that is when the variable valve timing (v-tec) kicks in, and opens up those extra 4 valves (giving it a total of 2 intake, and 2 exaust per cylender) preventing the engine from being totaly gutless, this ability is really handy when mearging in to buisy roads, or highways, if you were to take a look at the power band of the z1 it would be much wider/more useable, with just enough power where you need it, and a bit more waiting, if you down shift or rev it up.

Ok, I've have a couple lines on a vx motor/trans/ecu, but my next question is.. do all VX engines have the VTEC-E ECU? do I need the harness from a VX or will my SI be fine. Last question is what if I were to talk to a custom ECU maker like HONDATA. Think they sell or could make an ECU that would really fine tune for economy?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I haven't set an SI and a VX side by side to compare, but as I understand, the SI has all of the v-tec wiring, altho the ECU is not the same, and the ECU is in the car, pasenger side, under the carpet right under the dash, next to the door hinge, the only part of the wiring out side of the ECU that I think is differnt, is the o2 sensor wiring, the vx has that 5 wire sensor, and I think those wires all go to the ECU, so that's pretty simple, but as I said, no personal expearice, just reading stuff, and owning a vx.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote