View Poll Results: What's an acceptable Mixed driving FE
25 1 2.17%
30 12 26.09%
35 4 8.70%
40+ 29 63.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2007, 01:56 PM   #11
Registered Member

Hrmmm, I voted 30 MPG on the assumption that the vehicle has 4 bums in it, although personally, I'm now struggling to make 20 MPG in mostly cold urban short haul drives.

"MPG per person" might be a better measure... and if you've been in Northern Mexico you'd know that full size pickup trucks there easily get 150 MPG per person.

Many would say anything less than infinity is unacceptable given that we share our breathable air with these toxic convenience boxes.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #12
Registered Member

2TonJellyBean said it first. Ideally, I say that cars should get infinite mileage. That is the only number that I would be HAPPY with.

I would accept 40+. Why this high of a number? I think that people need to drastically change their view on how cars should be used. If people showed the interest, and car companies came through, we could all be driving around in cars that get 50-60 mpg. Sure, we may have to re-evaluate how we drive our cars presently, give up some of the features that we have grown used to, and change how cars look to achieve this. It is achievable, but as of yet, most people are unwilling to change. The old adage "if there is a will, there is a way" comes to mind.

So to sum up, I personally would not be happy until we get cars that are perfectly efficient and use no energy that is not totally renewable. I would accept an average that is somewhere above 40mpg. I think that we could do much better than that with some effort.

Erdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #13
Registered Member

I voted 40+ since my car that was designed before 1995 gets over that with mixed driving, well actually mostly rural roads...

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:57 PM   #14
Registered Member

Shoot, if the brakes weren't put on Cafe and additional loopholes added, we'd be at almost 100mpg right now.

*shakes fist*
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:18 PM   #15
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OdieTurbo
I think with modern technology, advances in composites, electronics and such that the car makers should be putting out much more fuel efficient vehicles. I mean when is the last time you saw a smooth underbody on a car? Come on people, the stuff we are doing here isn't rocket science.

I see no reason why your average 4 door sedan shouldn't be pulling 40+ MPG with our current capabilities.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdieTurbo View Post
I think with modern technology, advances in composites, electronics and such that the car makers should be putting out much more fuel efficient vehicles. I mean when is the last time you saw a smooth underbody on a car? Come on people, the stuff we are doing here isn't rocket science.

I see no reason why your average 4 door sedan shouldn't be pulling 40+ MPG with our current capabilities.
Well stated and I 100% agree.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
I was going to hit the 40-??, but I guess 40+ was the option...

I'm really want and am trying to get 40, unassisted highway mpg I got 36.4 this weekend (480+) miles with 95% highway

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #18
Registered Member

Here is my problem, it's not a specific mpg number per se:

My 1986 D-250 with a 318 carbureted 2bbl got 14mpg with my trailer, driving it really easy and without using extravagant hypermethods, that to me was acceptable, more so for the box design those older pickup trucks had.

Now take my 1995 D-2500, same truck, railed injection and all sorts of upgrades, granted the engine is bigger and so is the truck, but with a bold aerodynamic look and all this great new technology I can't get this thing much past 11mpg!

I'm not here to argue specifics that make the newer truck get worse mileage, injection itself should account for a 20% increase, even with all the extra weight and the larger engine, the aeros and the efficiency should at least compensate for the nonsense.

But no, in 9 years of technological advances they did NOTHING to improve mileage, there's not even an option or anything, all it is about is power and power and more power and so lets just dump raw fuel down the throat so that in fact things got worse.

That's what makes me so mad, and since 1995 it's just one slap in the face after another.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:26 PM   #19
Registered Member

60+ MPG in my smart, and 34+ MPG in the B 200. The smart is already there and I am working on the B 200. I drive normally but smoothly, no radical measures like EOC etc. for me.
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupe Injection
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:27 PM   #20
Registered Member

I put 40+ - Maybe I'm spoiled, but I get high 30's and hit 40 once or twice...and I want higher.

Man, this is just a game for me...anyways, anything sub-20 mpg is a joke - for example, I can't figure out why people want V8's in passenger cars when things such as turbos exist, but maybe thats just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
P.S. I must be a wierdo as I think just because a guy can afford to do something, doesn't mean he should. I can afford to buy 100 gallons of gas several times a month, pour it on the ground, light it (or not)... but I don't think I should.
GasSavers_Minger is offline   Reply With Quote