What is wrong?? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2008, 07:31 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Blame it on the marketing people who determine what is built - they have that "get ahead" attitude which requires performance and HP at any cost, the ability to pass a big truck as in the commercials. Plus I think the car makers are in the pockets of big oil.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
because bigger, more, cheaper is so ingrained in the american mindset. people go for the big numbers, manufactureres find ways to put the big numbers on the paper, and increase them a smidge every year just enough to keep ahead of everyone else but not to bury them or themselves. I don't know how many people I know that have talked about how they like the visibility of a truck or SUV because of the high stance...meanwhile this is coming from a single woman who weighs in at a whopping 140 lbs. My counterarguement is that any new cars out in the last 5 years feel like a pillbox to me. HUGE pillars blocking the horizontal, low rooflines to restrict upward view (stoplights) the windshield is feet in front of me so the entire field is restricted...for safety? It's got 15 airbags so when the driver runs over a compact car they coudln't see because of the pillars (airbags) and roll over, the driver will be safe.

better comparison than an old bonneville vs new G6...old honda civic vs new honda civic. half again or more the mileage, similar acceleration, etc. more more more

mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #13
Supporting Member

Wild Willie -

The US auto companies did it in the late 1990's with reduced weight + aerodynamics + hybrid drivetrains :

Do wheel skirts really work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher

Ford Prodigy: .20 Cd (With big wheel wells and open-spoked wheels too! And look at all that ground clearance!)

Attachment 1154
Very good points. Do you have anymore pic of the Prodigy? I find it hard to believe that it has a .20 Cd. Looks sure are decieving The front end looks like a MAC truck and it sits high enough to go 4 wheeling. Although it looks like they removed the mirrors.

Edit:
This car was made in 1999 and got 70 MPG. Why the heck is it not on the road. Looking at it you would think that it was just another sedan. Ford blew it on this one. Same space as the Taurus but 2400 pounds.
This research by US car companies is one of the reasons why Toyota and Honda introduced hybrids. They didn't want to get caught with their pants down. In my opinion, the only argument against these concept cars is the cost of the lighter materials, but I think that this company may be on the road to solving that problem :

Fiberforge - What We Do
http://www.fiberforge.com/PAGES/what.html
Quote:
Fiberforge is developing and commercializing a breakthrough manufacturing process for the production of lower-cost advanced-composite parts.

TAILORED BLANKS are the focus and foundation. They are a semi-finished good made from pre-preg thermoplastic tapes. Through tailorability they achieve scrap reduction and material optimization over their competition - both result in superior economics and performance.
CarloSW2
Attached Images

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #14

Hilarious

I totally agreee with this. I'd buy the Ford Prodigy if they even made the thing because it gets 70 MPG and can hold an actual family.

What is with the ganster slit vehicles? They look ridiculous. Some even make me motion sick. Like the HHR - "High head Room?" WTH? I am 6'3" and have the legs of someone 5'8" so I NEED that headroom. Except that I am up so high I can't see down to that slit of a stupid winshield!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
because bigger, more, cheaper is so ingrained in the american mindset. people go for the big numbers, manufactureres find ways to put the big numbers on the paper, and increase them a smidge every year just enough to keep ahead of everyone else but not to bury them or themselves. I don't know how many people I know that have talked about how they like the visibility of a truck or SUV because of the high stance...meanwhile this is coming from a single woman who weighs in at a whopping 140 lbs. My counterarguement is that any new cars out in the last 5 years feel like a pillbox to me. HUGE pillars blocking the horizontal, low rooflines to restrict upward view (stoplights) the windshield is feet in front of me so the entire field is restricted...for safety? It's got 15 airbags so when the driver runs over a compact car they coudln't see because of the pillars (airbags) and roll over, the driver will be safe.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
You want an xB but one of the older 2006 models - plenty of windshield and head room and you can lower the seat plenty and get even more headroom.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mpg View Post
I totally agreee with this. I'd buy the Ford Prodigy if they even made the thing because it gets 70 MPG and can hold an actual family.

What is with the ganster slit vehicles? They look ridiculous. Some even make me motion sick. Like the HHR - "High head Room?" WTH? I am 6'3" and have the legs of someone 5'8" so I NEED that headroom. Except that I am up so high I can't see down to that slit of a stupid winshield!!
You actually fit in? I'm 6-4 and too tall for them by 3". As in I hunch till my chin is shoulder height (and the top of my head is against the roof) and my knees are beside the steering wheel....with everything fully adjusted.

ganster slits....you mean like everything made by chrysler? With the other big 2 following close behind.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #17
Registered Member

Meh, I hate the American mindset. About half of the cars I see are trucks or SUV's, and half of those have only one person in them. I mean...right now, my family pretty much drives 3 vehicles (2 owned, and one is a company truck) - my dad has a chevy van for work, and they pay for gas. My mom drives an Acura MDX - prior to me driving, she drove the civic, which made a lot more sense.

But the thing is, my parents aren't willing to make the cut (or buy me a cheap car) to stop driving the MDX - it gets ~18 mpg on average, and my mom has ~18 miles to work...and then another 18 back again. I don't know what t hat has to do wtih anything, but whatever.

On the other hand, my family is asian and we basically don't buy American cars, besides my dad wanting another 'vette...which not buying American is kidna nice, because at least I have my civic (and my dad was trying to convince me to get something like a Jeep Wrangler...because they're 'fun' cars. So is a miata!)

But...Americans just don't seem to give a crap about MPG, but will complain to the ends of the earth about having to pay $50-60 when they have to f ill up because they get 15 mpg and have a 17 gallon tank or something. bleh

And whats with the new American cars looking so ugly? My friend's dad has a Chrysler 300...and its a 'luxery' car or something...one of t he ugliest things I've seen in my life. I'm tired, I'll go to sleep and shut up now

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
P.S. I must be a wierdo as I think just because a guy can afford to do something, doesn't mean he should. I can afford to buy 100 gallons of gas several times a month, pour it on the ground, light it (or not)... but I don't think I should.
GasSavers_Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
Fuel prices will change. In March of 2001 or March of 2002, I was paying $0.69 for gasoline in Georgia.
Those days are long gone.
Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minger View Post
About half of the cars I see are trucks or SUV's, and half of those have only one person in them.
My neighbors across the street (a young couple with one child) had an SUV and a small car. Just this week they got rid of the small car. Parked in their driveway now?

Two SUVs.

Rick
Old 01-12-2008, 06:42 AM   #20
VX trainee

On the flip side of the coin....my wife KO'd an 8-point buck a couple weeks ago on the way home from school at night in her Ford Explorer. Took out the left headlight and the grill, but she drove it on home.

Probably wouldn't have been driving my `92 VX home after hitting a deer......or maybe he would have just slid on over the top!

My arguments for her getting rid of the "gas hog" and getting a Civic hybrid are falling on deaf ears now.

4bfox is offline   Reply With Quote