What is wrong?? - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #41

Then what is a high standard of living? Especially as it relates to vehicles. Comfort? Safety? Features? What would you call a high standard of living?

Wyldesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:53 PM   #42
Registered Member

Good question- as it relates to vehicles.

I'd say if it isn't rusted out, smashed in, everything on it works, and you don't have to mortgage your whole future to have it, that is a high standard!

I know- my standards might not be... uh... typical?

Anywoo, in my book a high standard of living doesn't have to be costly and it doesn't have to scream "conspicuous consumption", "pretentiousness", and it doesn't really have to be a flagrant consumer of resources either. It doesn't have to scream "screw alla ya" either- by hogging the roads, hogging the parking spaces, hogging the gas stations, and generally having an aggression surrounding it that says "yeah, I'll mow you down and I don't particularly care". I think a high standard can still take into account reality. For example, reality is, we can't go 175 mph on the road so what purpose does it serve to have the capability?

Funny, people do often cite "comfort" as a reason for "needing" a barge, but I've ridden in plenty of barges that were no more comfortable than my smaller car; in fact some of them were less so.

P.S. I must be a wierdo as I think just because a guy can afford to do something, doesn't mean he should. I can afford to buy 100 gallons of gas several times a month, pour it on the ground, light it (or not)... but I don't think I should.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #43
VX trainee

I don't think you'll be slammed on this topic here....we're adults, right? You bring up an excellent point...we make the decision to drive what we want. I'm cheap, so I drive a 92 VX, and try to do whatever mechanical stuff I can. My wife teaches full time and has 2 part-time jobs, she wants the SUV. We both understand the consequences....I drive by the gas station about 4 more times than she does. She feels more secure (safer) in the SUV.

I haven't hit a deer in 35+ years of driving in rural Kansas. My wife hit her first one last month, after 30+ years of driving. So the odds of this happening aren't real high.
4bfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minger View Post
Yeah, I know that the MDX is an American one. I guess its stillb rand name afflicting us - I mean, I know the quality/reliability of American cars are getting better, but for me (maybe them as well), I'd prefer to drive Honda. My parents initially bought the MDX as something for long trips (my family (brother, parents and aunt) take 6 hour trips to Michigan once a year...) so we would be comfortable in it. And yes, I know that since the market wants it, they wiill make it...such is part of the case for Honda getting rid of the insight.

But...yeah. I just wouldn't like a wrangler (too big for me), and while I know the miata is not a very FE car (~30 or so mpg?) it's something I wouldn't mind driving. I mean, right now, I'm having a frustrating time getting my civic over 35 mpg (joys of winter) and fighting with the automatic transmission, as I just can't get it to shift sooner sometimes (usually into 4th gear at 35-40, unless uphill...then it will barely ever do it until it levels out or I'm going 50 and take my foot off the pedal).

I guess you mistook my notion of 'American' cars - I usually mean cars produced by the American companies. I wouldn't say stuff like Lexus and Acura count, as they're still essentially parts of the Japanese companies...my opinion I guess.

And my Civic is Canadian.
just an FYI, wrangers arent big at all (stock ones)... thier about the same size (bit wider but not longer) than a chevette. same ammount of interior space too stock ones sit about the same height as a small base model pickup(s-10, ranger, dakota)

http://www.rvclearinghouse.com/image...bear/Jeep2.JPG pic of spretty base model jeep, they dont HAVE to have huge tires and a huge lift (wouldnt belive how hard it was to find a base model one) has a 2.5L engine with 5speed manual available, i dont know if all jeeps are 4wd... even then jeeps are just mechanical mountain goats

the cherokees are "midsized", then the grand cherokees are even bigger.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #45
Registered Member

Well...how should I put it...I'm used to my civic and when I drive my aunt's TSX, that feels a bit bigger, adn the MDX just feels a lot higher/wider for me.

I just don't think I want a wrangler :P I'll stick to my ricers (without the annoying loud exhausts) that get pretty good mpg. I just hope the CRZ comes out soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
P.S. I must be a wierdo as I think just because a guy can afford to do something, doesn't mean he should. I can afford to buy 100 gallons of gas several times a month, pour it on the ground, light it (or not)... but I don't think I should.
GasSavers_Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #46
Registered Member

yes that is true, wranglers arent too good on mpg, BUT fun to drive none the less. and can tow alot. fun to go across cornfields and dirt roads too.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #47

Well, for the hitting a deer... It's a lot more common in Indiana and heavily forested states. I mean, everyone in my family but me has hit a deer, Luckily most of them were going under 30 when it happened. My sister even hit one twice in 3 months... Her insurance rates have skyrocketed
Wyldesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:35 AM   #48
VX trainee

Actually, we've been lucky...I have friends that have hit 2 deer in a year. My wife was driving 45-50 on her accident...ice on the road. Damage would have been worse if she was doing her usual 65. Animal accidents really shouldn't count on your insurance....nothing the driver can do in most cases.
4bfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:05 AM   #49

I drove 500,000 miles before I hit a deer. It was a night and I was going 70mph on a major highway. I saw it for only long enough to see what was going to happen so there was no time for avoidance.

Fortunately, I was in my F250. The only damage was to the bumper. I don't even want to think about what would have happened had I been in the CRX at the time. Everybody that runs into me seems to be uninsured...including that deer.

It's a no-brainer, really. If you're betting your life, whatever incident you have the odds favor you in a big truck than in a CRX-type weenie car. I'm sure somebody will think hard enough to come up with a low-odds type accident for a "what-if", but I'm talking odds-on favorite.
Mayhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #50
Registered Member

ive never hit any animal (well besides a squirrel) but have come very close once or twice BUT i knew the deer would be out and about so i was extra cautios and saw them way ahead of time. that and where theres one deer bounding accross the road thiere ALWAYS another. my biggest problem isnt deer lately mostly large birds. almost smashed a huge turkey with my chevettes windshield(heard it hit my antenna which is less than a foot from my windshield) almost hit a hawk in it, almost drove thru a cluster of 14 turkeys...BUT i was payin attention and adoided them all. Now my sister who cant drive worth a crap has hit 4 or 5 deer in a neon and that car still ran...