What kind of mileage can I get out of a 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

What kind of mileage can I get out of a 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix

I have a 2-Door 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix with the 3100 motor.

What can I do to maximize fuel mileage for this particular vehicle? What kind of MPGs can I expect to achieve with a 1994 Grand Prix. Thanks in advance!

Calavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

this motor shines on the highway. that said, IF you drive mostly hwy miles 30mpg is achievable. if you drive almost entirely hwy, you could reach 35(w/ some mods).

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Banned

do a warm air intake.. also try extra pressure in your back tires i do 36 front 42 back for good handling, anyone have any idea if 3100 had a map of a maf systemM if map you can do a warm air intake with results. also aerodynamics on your front bumper would help
spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #4
Banned

hey bowtie guy, are those performance headers on your bugsy engine?
Old 04-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Registered Member

What mods would you recommend to improve fuel economy? I have a K&N air filter, but thats about it.
Calavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #6

take a look at the stickied tips for milage improvements. I've found tire pressure is the biggest factor in mpg followed closely by driving technique.
Philip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:22 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I agree with previous posts... Tire pressure (don't exceed the tire's maximum, which is marked on the sidewall; and don't go lower than the car's recommendation, which is printed on a label probably in the door jamb) and driving techniques are the most effective ways to save fuel, and also the most cost-effective.

I don't think a manual transmission was offered in your car, so those techniques are out, but we'll talk about what you can do with your automatic. Don't accelerate too gently. I like to lay on the go-pedal pretty heavy and then lay off it to trigger a shift, then lay on it again (not so much that it downshifts, obviously). Keeping your RPM down and your throttle open is an effective technique but difficult to do with an automatic. The 3.1's decent torque helps.

Try to avoid needing to use your brakes. If you see a red light or a stale green light in the distance, take your foot off the gas now. You may even need to brake a little immediately. Try to roll through at the highest speed possible. Same for turns...enjoy your car's handling (when safe and legal). Any time you use the brakes, you discard energy that you've already burned fuel to make, and then you know you're going to burn fuel to re-accelerate. If you just keep that inertia instead, you won't have to re-accelerate as much.

Do these things only when they don't compromise safety or legality.

Those are a couple tips for getting started. However, by far the most important thing is to track your fuel economy accurately. Enter your car into the Garage section of this site and start a gaslog. When you get gas, let it click off normally and don't top off. Try to get gas at the same pump each time, if convenient; that helps make individual tank measurements accurate. Keep notes in your gaslog about what you did.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:23 AM   #8
Banned

from his it looks like you have a map system
http://www.greatautohelp.com/sensor-location/3400.html

Berettass
Rating: 0
View Member Profile

post Jan 27 2003, 12:48 PM
Post #8

Can of Supercharger Woop #$$!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 551
Car Type: 1995 Beretta SS

the 2.2 and 2.3 used MAP sensors.... same as the 3.1....
from
http://www.bstuff.com/index.php?showtopic=4049

yea a warm air intake setup would work on this car from what i can tell considering your exact model has a map sensor and a seperate intake temp sensor

on my car i get an extra 4-5 mpg highway 6mpg city with a warm air intake setup

i have a gm from the same time period so it doesnt surprise me to see them using the same setup.. check out my gas logs

all you need to do is somehow get hot air to go into your air intake (leave the AIT sensor intact!(this is important)).. and voula... you car will use less gas because hotter air is less dense(less air), and your computer matches the fuel/air ratio in response to this by using less gas... I swear this works.. look up project84's saturn.. ect
Old 04-25-2010, 05:24 AM   #9
Registered Member

I always suggest tire psi first.

Next, get your car tuned up, and I mean well.

New filters, fluids, plugs/wires, pvc, etc.
'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:29 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
What mods would you recommend to improve fuel economy? I have a K&N air filter, but thats about it.
that is debatable in regard to mpg increases. HolyCow prolly has something in his signature suggesting that increases are only reached under wide open throttle using K&N. also there has been some debate about them adversely affecting MAF sensors.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote