What should people know about fuel economy? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2006, 05:42 PM   #11
Registered Member

The roads appear less congested and more relaxed when travelling at a speed slightly slower than that of most of the other traffic. On the average, you'll have more distance in front of you to the next car then is the case when you are trying to drive faster than most of the other traffic.

Its safer driving. If you run into something or someone, it is less dangerous, you get less damage, and it is less likely to be fatal to all of the parties concerned if you crash into them while driving at a slower speed.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:27 PM   #12
Registered Member

Less Stress

Slow down, save gas, and relax...

That's a big benefit.

RH77

Old 10-14-2006, 07:30 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Slow down, save gas, and relax...

That's a big benefit.

RH77
How can you relax when everyone behind you is POed that you're driving the speed limit
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:38 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
You think people get pissed when you go the speed limit?

I've recently started going 10-15 mph below it! I suspect doing so may get me over 35 mpg, where if I drive 70 mph like everyone else in a 55, I get like 16 mpg!

The Suzuki Sidekick/Geo Tracker has a .48 Cd! In order to get the EPA highway rating of 26 mpg, I have to go about 50-55 mph. The one I use needs a tune up though; that might improve things a bit.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:48 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
You should get your Geo buddy on gassavers. We'll whip him into shape!
I actually managed to get him to sign up! Hes peanutman or something like that and his car is the peanut. He used to drive a GMC 1500 before that, and his grandma sold him the Metro for $1000 or so. He saved $50 A WEEK on gas. Hes getting 35 MPG right now and hes aiming for 60 on his next fill.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:52 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpiloto
How can you relax when everyone behind you is POed that you're driving the speed limit
Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. I set-up a cruise control limiter and used it today. It limits the TPS to 21%, which is roughly 10% throttle on my car. At 65 on level ground, it cruises at 40+MPG, then going up a hill, it can sometimes dip down into the low 50's, which is where people start looking at you funny (multi-lane) -- but FE never goes below 30. On single-lane roads, I end up compromising between FE and diplomacy.

RH77
Old 10-14-2006, 08:38 PM   #17
DRW
Registered Member

Promote the image that being a GasSaver is fun! Coin a phrase and create an image so people feel like they belong to a group of progressive, intelligent free thinkers, which was my first impression after reading this site. Don't promote FE as a job, or something the average citizen has to struggle to acheive with every fillup. Make it seem easy with results that are sustainable. Use some blurbs that get the point across, like member testimonials:"My MPG went up by 15% after trying just a few of the tips that GasSavers came up with." "My gas gage is broken, it won't go down like it used to!" "I like to slow down and relax so much that I use my commute time to catch up on my sleep." OK so maybe that last one isn't so hot.

Maybe someone needs to pressure the automakers to include a MPG readout on the dash of all new cars like the hybrids have. That would be a wakeup call for all the fat SUV's out there.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:59 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW
Promote the image that being a GasSaver is fun! Coin a phrase and create an image so people feel like they belong to a group of progressive, intelligent free thinkers, which was my first impression after reading this site. Don't promote FE as a job, or something the average citizen has to struggle to acheive with every fillup. Make it seem easy with results that are sustainable. Use some blurbs that get the point across, like member testimonials:"My MPG went up by 15% after trying just a few of the tips that GasSavers came up with." "My gas gage is broken, it won't go down like it used to!" "I like to slow down and relax so much that I use my commute time to catch up on my sleep." OK so maybe that last one isn't so hot.

Maybe someone needs to pressure the automakers to include a MPG readout on the dash of all new cars like the hybrids have. That would be a wakeup call for all the fat SUV's out there.
they're not going to notice that over their cellphone, and Supersized McFries. I would absolutly LOVE this feature though.

I do find it funny that a the most commonly seen MPG gauges are on Luxury cars, and trucks, not on the gas sipping cars who's owners actually care haha. I mean my Lincoln towncar had the option of a mpg disply (even though it get 30mpg tops (stock) where as my civic doesn't, 30mph minimum (stock)

The big problem is, no one wants to pay for gas, but more imporantly, they dont' want to have to change thier ways to fix it. I've heard an interesting Idea of raising taxes on gasoling to reduce our dependance on foreign oil and to get consumers to buy more efficient vehicles ( if it's taxed to $5/galloon I gurantee something will be done about it) I would also like to see more gas guzzler taxes. I think people who feel they deserve more of our limited resources should have to pay extra. Those of us tryign to conserve it (hybrids, and econobox drivers) should get tax breaks or somethign along these lines. The big problem i see can forsee is when gas goes up, the gas guzzlers will use E-85 instead of cutting back.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:01 AM   #19
Registered Member

Heres an Idea:

We shall form an elite team of hyper milers consisting of nine members. 3 Elite Gas Hypermilers, 3 Elite Diesel Hypermilers, and 3 Elite Hybrid Hypermilers. The Gas Saver's Hypermilers. These members will not only have to fight to stay on top in their own forum, but they will go out and challange other forums as well. This should spread easily between FE enthusiasts. Then, with luck, we can branch out to non-FE related forums. Eventually, we can take over the world.

=D
Old 10-15-2006, 07:09 AM   #20
Registered Member

Actually, forget using small increments for cash savings, show the difference over 200k miles. A car that gets ~50mpg will cost $40,000 less than a car that gets 10mpg, in fuel alone. $40,000 is a lot of cash.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote