What size lrr tires for my 95 jeep cherokee sport 2wd? I want sMaller than 225 75 15 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

What size lrr tires for my 95 jeep cherokee sport 2wd? I want sMaller than 225 75 15

my jeep cherokee has 235 75 15 tires. I want max fe so stock size is 225 75 15 what do you recommen so i can lower the jeep more and get skinnier tires that are lrr like goodyear viva or wr g2 noikian thanks for ure help.

I have a 15 inch wheel and stock size is 225 75 15, so if i go smaller than that wont my jeep be lower to the ground for better FE? I understand load and tire size in reference but cant i look at each tires load resistance?

Also my jeep is realli light, nothing inside of it but drivers seat and no excess suspension or hitch and has aluminum wheels at 50psi.

so want to go low resistence tires and want to know what size and brand to go to. thats all

OTHER FREE MPG THINGS TOO

95CHERJUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:54 AM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

I do not recommend going smaller than that. For max FE I would recommend getting a passenger car tire in that size with a straight up highway tread. That's the same size tire that they put on Caprices and Crown Victorias, so it should be pretty easy to get in a car tire. I used to run P235/75/R15 whitewall tires on my old 74 Chevy pickup. It got great mileage, and rode really nice too!

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I agree with Jay. If you do go to smaller tires, you'll need to recalculate your minimum tire pressure; it will be higher with smaller tires. You can check load-inflation charts to see.

Since you're already running 50psi, that would probably be fine unless you went ridiculously small.

Were you planning on changing any gears to adjust for the new tire size? You'd need to do that too.

Chances are that the slightly larger tires were the best size, and you just need a better tire in that size. There was a thread about LRR tires for SUVs, I think it's the LRR tire link in my sig.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Registered Member

okay guys so what do you think for my jeep cherokee then.

225 75 15 is stock,

i was thinking 205 75 15. little skinner and look for lrr tires in that size like the goodyear viva.

any other lrr tires to look for?
OTHER FREE MPG THINGS TOO

95CHERJUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
205/75-15 will be less tall as well as less wide. Unless your vehicle is geared too tall, you will lose fuel economy going to that size.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
Registered Member

Bridgestone, Firestone, and General tire make great stock tires. On my 91 Explorer 4.0 V6, auto, I could knock out an average of 26 mpg. I ran them to the max tire pressure on the sidewall, Iv blown plenty of truck tires on fathers truck, so I take it wasy on high tire pressures. The reason I mention the 3 companies is that these companies were mentioned as the best tire mpg in a test I read about years ago.
GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to MTUboi86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Bridgestone, Firestone, and General tire make great stock tires. On my 91 Explorer 4.0 V6, auto, I could knock out an average of 26 mpg. I ran them to the max tire pressure on the sidewall, Iv blown plenty of truck tires on fathers truck, so I take it wasy on high tire pressures. The reason I mention the 3 companies is that these companies were mentioned as the best tire mpg in a test I read about years ago.
Wow, how'd you pull off that mileage in an explorer? Mine's a '94 4x4, and best I've ever gotten was 20mpg, going 55mph for two hours.

MTUboi86 is offline   Reply With Quote