What Spark Plugs to use - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2008, 11:10 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Do you have any photos of copper core, or silver core plugs for a comparison? Platinum does not oxidize in air so it's used in spark plugs, but it's a poor conductor of electricity! copper is just over 6 times more conductive, and silver is 6.6 times more conductive of electircity, the only disadvantage of copper spark plugs is that they wear out faster and require people to pay more attention to the underhood part of their vehicle.

So what kind of deal can we get thru you on these spark plugs?

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:13 PM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I'll get some images posted once I get them taken. Lighting and exposure will be a nightmare I plan on attacking this weekend. Mid-week will be the latest I'll get them posted though. You'd be amazed at some of the crazy plugs we have here in house. I'll even get our plugs up against an E3 plug and a couple I'm sure you've never seen before.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #23
Registered Member

I've had a bit of a hiccup in getting my camera so there will be a little more delay. I expected it today but the company just contacted me and said it's on back order the day i'm supposed to get it.

I'll get back to you guys when I get the pictures. My camrea phone is just washing out the pulstar image when i take the picture.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
Here is something you might find interesting. Un-retouched photo by DSport Magazine.

Our BE-1 on the left(the one that would be most popular here) and a Bosch Platinum plug on the right. Running off the same coil and everything.
Looking forward to more information.

Not looking for pics unless you can get them in a compression atmosphere where they actually would be operating. Spark in regular atmosphere isn't really relevant.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:56 PM   #25
Registered Member

Two major plug "brands" to look for are also Sonic, and Firestorm. Firestorm has a huge, huge following already and they haven't even hit the market. They've been taking on huge investments, investors, red government tape etc. The firestorm plugs major claim to fame is they literally create a Plasma firestorm inside the cylinder which burns almost 100% of all gasoline in the cylinder, whereas only about 18% of your gasoline is normally burned. They claim you can remove and throw away all the emissions equipment from the car because its dead weight, and un needed with the firestorm plugs.

Sonic plugs are basically NGK V-Power plugs with a hole drilled in the ground electrode, directly in line with the power electrode. The hole causes the ignition "flame front" to move in two directions, evenly igniting the fuel in your cylinders, in a more efficient manner. A lot of people are taking NGK V-power plugs and drilling a .032 hole in the ground electrode (the electrode normally bent to adjust gap).
gto78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:16 AM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto78 View Post
The firestorm plugs major claim to fame is they literally create a Plasma firestorm inside the cylinder which burns almost 100% of all gasoline in the cylinder, whereas only about 18% of your gasoline is normally burned.
??
Old 02-22-2008, 09:39 AM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
Looking forward to more information.

Not looking for pics unless you can get them in a compression atmosphere where they actually would be operating. Spark in regular atmosphere isn't really relevant.
The picture above was taken in a pressurized chamber as will all of the ones i take. The default pressure in our display assembly is 65psi. In another series I will be setting up a scope and taking additional pictures of major plug types at different voltages i.e. 5kV idle spark and a 25-35kV WOT spark.

It wont be all the crazy ones from the first comparison series but it will be very detailed and will be in a special education section I'm building for our site. Most likely the plugs in the second round will be Iridium, Copper, and Platinum. There actually isn't much of any difference between those metals from what I can see visually so far. The difference between all of them and our plug is the same.

I have some test results for economy and power here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto78
The firestorm plugs major claim to fame is they literally create a Plasma firestorm inside the cylinder which burns almost 100% of all gasoline in the cylinder, whereas only about 18% of your gasoline is normally burned.
Yeah, I don't know any engine that only burns 18% of the fuel. A 70's carbbed caddy with old worn out plugs still burns at least 70%. You know how gross your exhaust would smell if you had 82% of it left after combustion?
Old 02-22-2008, 09:59 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
??
ditto

s2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:09 AM   #29
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_Red
dkjones, you guys have any test data on Jeep 4.0 engines? Word has been for many years, and I have seen it for myself, that the 4.0 just doesn't respond to anything with the exception of a cam change. I have been curious for a while now whether or not Plusar plugs could do anything.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:53 AM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
I will say that there are definitely noticible gaslog differences in how different plugs perform, especially from 500rpm to 2000rpm's, but them pulstar ones have been debunked at least, at least in the higher RPM range. Now we need someone willing to spend the loot upfront to test them out hypermiling (and if they don't work, send the damn things back for sure)

http://www.teamzr1.com/ubbthreads/ub...at&Number=1976 - link debunking pulstar's at high rpms on dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by superrican View Post
any of you guys see the PULSTAR plugs ???http://www.pulstarplug.com/