What to do in the snow? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

What to do in the snow?

I was driving in the snow today, and im getting 4-5 mpg's when I usually make 20 or so, just because my tires spin, ect. I live in a fairly warm place so chains, snow tires, ect is not worth it because this is the first time it has snowed in like 2 years.

So any ideas on how I can get better mpg's?

Going GTO once I finally get a job. Stayin pontiac all the way.
NotYourDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Banned

wait fur de snow to melt, you can let pressure out of your tires 3 or 4 below is good and then put it right back in

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

There is no hypermiling in snow & ice. Get where you're going safely. My mileage drops to about 3 MPG in heavy snow, but I get where I'm going without any accidents.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Registered Member

yea its snow mine goes to like 22mpg in my truck on snow because theres no way to drive without spinning the tires some

then theres the on purpouse spinning of tires but shhhhhhhhhhhh lol
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

Its hard to spin the wheels in my truck with the deep tread tires and 4wd active. Driving all over town with 4wd active, and never going fast enough to get out of second gear is what kills my snow mileage.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I lose some fuel economy in snow, but not much compared to the same temperature without snow. Only when the snow is deep or when the roads are terrible does it make a big difference for me.

There's really nothing much you can do. Safety comes first. Some of the things you need to do to drive safely in snow are good for fuel economy -- looking and planning far ahead, driving smoothly, avoiding braking. Other things, well...not so great.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
Registered Member

If you aint equipped with snow tire, your rubber will be hard as rock under certain temperature. They say all season tire arent done for less then 7 degree CELCIUS on tire and snow (different on dry pavement). So dont drive under -0 degree CELCIUS if there are snow in the street I would say. 2 days in 2 years without car probably wont kill you? Because here in Quebec we often see deadly accident during the first snow fall or two. But here, winter tire arent an option, government pass a law to force people to put them on. A good thing, since winter tire arent that expensive, well for my 13", but not much for those """"" who has some 17 inch wheels like all those automakers are putting these day, that simply a waste of a lots of things, but people just don't think about it, to much of an effort for the brain.
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Its hard to spin the wheels in my truck with the deep tread tires and 4wd active. Driving all over town with 4wd active, and never going fast enough to get out of second gear is what kills my snow mileage.
see im on the opposite spectrum, 2wd s10 non lockign rearend. i can get stuck with one tire on ice other on dry
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:18 PM   #9
Site Team / Moderator

Yeah, I have 4wd, and the limited slip rear end. After checking my Scangauge after a day of driving around with 4wd activated full time my average for today is 7.2 MPG.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
There is no hypermiling in snow & ice. Get where you're going safely. My mileage drops to about 3 MPG in heavy snow, but I get where I'm going without any accidents.
What he said. Safety comes first before anything else, even hypermiling. This goes for any kind of road conditions, but especially inclement weather.

At least if your car is a front-wheel drive, you are better off than in a rear-wheel drive car. Snow and ice were really scary in my old Lincolns ('84 Town Car and '85 Continental), not so bad in the Eldorado, and almost fun in the Geo.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote