Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #201
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvanengen View Post
free trade: commerce conducted unhindered by the governments of any involved trading country.

Does this really sound like a good idea?
I didn't say weather or not it was a good idea... but that doesn't change the current trade agreements

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #202
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
I didn't say weather or not it was a good idea... but that doesn't change the current trade agreements
Nope...sure doesn't...but where I was going is that we do not have free trade or even "fair" trade. Then I hear that US drivers should pay the "real" costs for their fuel, and it makes me wonder who is really deciding all of these questions, and why they have decided to wreck the US.

When and how do we make ALL of the drivers in the world pay the same "costs" to keep the playing field level??

McIntyre's First Law: "Under the right circumstances, anything I tell you may be wrong."

O'Brien's First Corollary to McIntyre's First Law: "I don't know what the right circumstances are, either."

rvanengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #203
Registered Member

Quote:
Nope...sure doesn't...but where I was going is that we do not have free trade or even "fair" trade.
By the strictest definition, no we don't have free trade - but since the Regan years, we've made most steps toward it....

Quote:
Then I hear that US drivers should pay the "real" costs for their fuel, and it makes me wonder who is really deciding all of these questions, and why they have decided to wreck the US.

Not so much that they should -- but that changes would happen at an appreciable rate if they did. But tariffs are not the only cost that this question addresses (tariffs aren't really a consideration at all). Stabilizing regions with oil, the subsidies for domestic oil producers (both direct and indirect), lost domestic jobs from transfer of wealth to other countries, etc. The current costs at the pump already take into consideration any duties collected as a result of tariff....

I think I linked it indirectly before -- but here's a directly link for oil tariffs (note the exempt countries due to free trade agreement)
http://hotdocs.usitc.gov/docs/tata/h...er/0612C27.pdf

11/12
Old 10-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #204
Registered Member

It's going to take a lot for the trophy soccer/hockey moms to give up their trophy 6000lb, 12-15mpg beasts that they "absolutely need" to cart their offspring and their offspring's crap around in.

They (their husbands) can afford not to care. They can swing the expensive fuel bills and can afford to pretty much ignore the social implications of their vehicle choice. These same people will carry on and on about protecting their children from every outside stimulus that "might" harm them (i.e. media, school content), but they'll make damn sure to screw up the Earth their precious kids are inheriting--be it through their massive guzzlers, disposable EVERYTHING, bottle water, etc... They can afford not to care.

Therein lies the hopelessness of the situation.

Those of us that actually give a damn are considered freaks/fringe. (Or liberal hippie faggots depending upon whose opinion you ask)

Apparently no one got the memo that families exist in Europe, and somehow these families can transport themselves in smaller, more efficient vehicles.
gamby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #205
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamby View Post

Those of us that actually give a damn are considered freaks/fringe. (Or liberal hippie faggots depending upon whose opinion you ask)
Remind me of a joke....

Why is California like a granola bar?
Because when you take out all the fruit, crazy bits and funky goodies, you're left with a bunch of flakes

11/12
Old 10-28-2007, 09:35 AM   #206
Registered Member

well you gotta remember too, european streets are tiny compared to the average us street, they almost have to have a small(or narrow) car to manuver around in just to get places. so maybe there are less bigger cars and more smaller compact cars available to buy(that and i think europeans see them as modes of transportation not social status icons.)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:06 PM   #207
Supporting Member

VetteOwner -

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
well you gotta remember too, european streets are tiny compared to the average us street, they almost have to have a small(or narrow) car to manuver around in just to get places. so maybe there are less bigger cars and more smaller compact cars available to buy(that and i think europeans see them as modes of transportation not social status icons.)
I agree that is a factor. The cities have medieval origins, so there will always be a "little car" niche. I think that's one reason why European cars have had a handling advantage over US cars. European car-volution required tighter/more precise turning radiuses and such.

But the gas tax has helped a lot, too.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #208
Supporting Member

a new crx

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:44 PM   #209
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ajohnmeyer
I was reading an article that talked about the origins of MPG saving driving techniques, it referred to the gas rations of WWII as a major milestone in the public practice of these techniques. It seems that WWII caused a lot of people in this country to make "sacrifices" to their standard of living, they all seem to have had a common sense of purpose that made all those sacrifices worthwhile.

I don't think that we will have a war to be our generations "sense of purpose" to begin conserving, I think it will be brought on by the biggest economic downturn since the great depression, courtesy of Hubbert's Peak. Hard to imagine that I'm about to live through the same thing my Grandfather did when he was a boy. Oh well, I think I'm ready, just waiting on Saudi Arabia.

Team OPEC Busters!
ajohnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:55 PM   #210
Supporting Member

ajohnmeyer -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnmeyer View Post
I was reading an article that talked about the origins of MPG saving driving techniques, it referred to the gas rations of WWII as a major milestone in the public practice of these techniques. It seems that WWII caused a lot of people in this country to make "sacrifices" to their standard of living, they all seem to have had a common sense of purpose that made all those sacrifices worthwhile.

I don't think that we will have a war to be our generations "sense of purpose" to begin conserving, I think it will be brought on by the biggest economic downturn since the great depression, courtesy of Hubbert's Peak. Hard to imagine that I'm about to live through the same thing my Grandfather did when he was a boy. Oh well, I think I'm ready, just waiting on Saudi Arabia.
110% agreement. That's why I have a WWII gas ration card on my car :

Attachment 1008

CarloSW2
Attached Images

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote