Whats too much Psi - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-14-2006, 09:18 PM   #11
Registered Member

My sidewalls say 37, but I run 50-57 psi (refill every once in a while cuz they're old) I actually raised my tire pressure not for ecomony, but for handling. At under 55 psi in the front tires, they would roll onto their sidewalls and give me less cornering grip than than low psi. To anyone concerned about hi pressure tires giving worse handling go to an Auto Cross event, almost everyone is running atleast 10% more pressure than their tires are rated at.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #12
DRW
Registered Member

"You do not want to be standing near a tire when it decides to explode."

HA! Tell me about it. I work in a bicycle shop and every once in a while someone will blow out a road bike tire at 100 psi. It's like a gun going off. Everyone stops and looks like they're in shock. I had a few blow out while I was pumping them up and it hurts!

I have a feeling the car tire manufacturers try to build a safety margin into their tires so people can do all sorts of abusive things to their tires and they'll still hold up. With that said, I'd recomend checking your tires carefully for anything that might weaken them just to make sure it's OK. Look for things like sidewall wear from rubbing against curbs when you park, cuts from road debris, uneven lumps or bulges in the sidewall or tread, and anything that looks unusual. Just make sure the tires are in good shape before you raise the pressure.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:06 AM   #13
Registered Member

My friends dad is a trucker. He had a truck tire blow on him once when he was filling it. He said it was the most scared he has ever been.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:27 AM   #14
Registered Member

DRW: I have a similar story:

I went mountain biking with a bunch of people. Afterwards we were sitting around having beers and snacks. The bikes were all parked nearby when my rear tire exploded. While parked! It was incredibly loud (even though mtb tires aren't high pressure - I was running maybe 30-35 lbs). Everybody jumped. And then we had a good laugh.

Turned out the tire sidewall had been weakened from being chafed during the ride, and the tube balooned it and burst through. It just took a while to work its way through the sidewall damage.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:39 AM   #15
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr
That is very dangerous(120psi). You do not want to be standing near a tire when it decides to explode.
I was at the shop trying to repair a leak and I couldn't find it so the other guy came over and was like, here, let me fill it up at bit, so he filled it up to 120 and was like, there's the leak. *shrug* I was scared but he seemed to know what he was doing. Kids these days, pssh.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:47 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
DRW: I have a similar story:

I went mountain biking with a bunch of people. Afterwards we were sitting around having beers and snacks. The bikes were all parked nearby when my rear tire exploded. While parked! It was incredibly loud (even though mtb tires aren't high pressure - I was running maybe 30-35 lbs). Everybody jumped. And then we had a good laugh.

Turned out the tire sidewall had been weakened from being chafed during the ride, and the tube balooned it and burst through. It just took a while to work its way through the sidewall damage.
I also had one of these blow out on me, it was on an old bicycle where the tire was so worn down the tube actually stuck out, so it wasn't really a surprise when it popped.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:09 AM   #17
Registered Member

And then there was the classic one I did when I was a little kid: my neighbour's bike had the best tire compound. I didn't know this was the reason at the time, all I knew was when you locked up the rear brakes, the tire just howled when it skidded. So cool.

So I rode up and down the sidewalk as fast as I could, doing long, screeching skids on his bike. Until I eventually wore through the tread. And the casing. And the tube. screeeeeee-BANG!
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:14 AM   #18
Registered Member

My tire's sidewall limit's are 35 lbs. I have been running 55 lbs, for about six month's. I haven't had any issue's, except the little rougher ride. I've left them at 55, because I was very amazed at how much farther the car would roll, with no power, compared to when the tire's were at 35. Try them for a little while and see if you think it makes any difference, on your car.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:28 AM   #19
Registered Member

This subject comes up all the time. Has anyone every had a tubless tire(in good condition) explode because of over inflation on a car? The paranoia of tires exploding seems to be a hold over from the tubless days. I don't think the FE benifits are that great once you hit a certain point it just a matter of finding it and what kind of ride qualities you are willing to put up with to get it. Keep in mind anytime you do something that is not recomended by the manufactor that you open yourself up for all kinds of liabilities.
zpiloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:48 AM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster
I was really surprised that there is virtually no difference between the fuel efficiency of my Metro whether driven on smooth paved roads or grid/gravel roads. Perhaps the ground is nice and solid now that the temperatures are well below freezing.

Ocean Drive. Why does that sound familiar? Is that the street the infamous "Amittyville Horror" house is on?
http://www.amityvillemurders.com/
"On November 13, 1974, police discovered six members of the DeFeo family -- father, mother and four of their five children -- shot and killed execution style at 112 Ocean Avenue in Amityville, New York"

More like the Jim Carey movie where he plays a RI State Trooper (Me MySelf and Ireen)- that was filmed on Ocean Drive and a few other places that I didn't recognize. The Amittyville Horror may be some where here too I will check on that but I think that may have been on Block Island.

The pavement is soo bumpy that it shakes my car like crazy with the high pressure in the tires - its like 1/4 mile of cold patches all over the road. They are installing new water pipes and have it dug up down to the dirt so it should be really nice afterwards as long as the put in proper drainage for the marsh next to it.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote