Oops, I'm a fool!

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:04 PM   #42
*shrug*

No, just me.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:10 PM   #43
*shrug*

Prolly is probably, mehbe maybe, so on and so forth, it's how I talk, therefore how I type, I spose,
Old 09-01-2006, 11:41 PM   #44
*shrug*

Yes, there are many acronyms, but when you learn them you'll realize you couldn't live without them. Anyway, feel free to ask, ever.

Anyway, I said all such ish in most of my english papers, so now I'm used to it,
Old 09-02-2006, 04:49 AM   #45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Hart
"Heads"??? You do mean "cylinders" I hope! Aluminum heads can last forever IF the headbolts are untorqued in a pattern reversed from installation (prevents warpage).There ain't nothing wrong with aluminum heads. Even air heads make good politicians! LOL!
No there's nothing wrong with aluminum heads but cast iron heads reflect more heat back into combustion. Vaporization fuel better for more complete burn. More power too if you control detonation.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:00 AM   #46
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Oh, well, mine's bi-metal. Most of the normal honda engines are, but I think some of the more extreme ones I going all aluminum, but I'm not so up on the new ish.
Actually, Honda has not built a cast iron block since the 1989 Honda Accord. And even before that, most of their engines were all-aluminum. What's actually kind of interesting about this is that while GM was aving SEVERE problems with the Vega back in the 1970s due to its unreliable all-aluminum engine (which spooked them out of building aluminum engines for a couple of decades), Honda was quietly winning over MANY people with the reliability of the all-aluminum engine in their Civic.

As for newer small cars being so unreliable, there are a couple of things to consider. First of all, weight is MUCH higher than it was back in the early 90s. This is due to the fact that (1) crash standards are MUCH stricter, and (2) the cars are generally bigger. Another problem is aerodynamic drag. You can't help but notice that newer small cars are VERY tall for their size. This creates ALOT of frontal area, and, therefore, drag.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:04 AM   #47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Hart View Post
"Boo, iron sleeves!" --- Iron sleeves give far better wear characteristics than "super alloy" aluminum bores. Remember the Chevy Vega? Pure junk! Those aluminum bores wore so fast (& you couldn't overbore them, either)! The sure-fire cure? Press in a set of cast iron liners! Just thought you'd like to know....-Ted Hart
I should also note that Honda tried fiber reinforced aluminum cylinders in the Prelude for a number of years. I have not really heard much about the reliability of this. But it is ineresting to note that Honda went back to cast iron liners in the new K-series engine. So there may have been some problems. But luckily for Honda, the Prelude was never a big seller.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:53 AM   #48
*shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
Actually, Honda has not built a cast iron block since the 1989 Honda Accord. And even before that, most of their engines were all-aluminum. What's actually kind of interesting about this is that while GM was aving SEVERE problems with the Vega back in the 1970s due to its unreliable all-aluminum engine (which spooked them out of building aluminum engines for a couple of decades), Honda was quietly winning over MANY people with the reliability of the all-aluminum engine in their Civic.

As for newer small cars being so unreliable, there are a couple of things to consider. First of all, weight is MUCH higher than it was back in the early 90s. This is due to the fact that (1) crash standards are MUCH stricter, and (2) the cars are generally bigger. Another problem is aerodynamic drag. You can't help but notice that newer small cars are VERY tall for their size. This creates ALOT of frontal area, and, therefore, drag.
I was commenting on the fact that my aluminum block engine uses iron sleeves, not that the block is all iron...
Old 10-29-2007, 12:25 PM   #49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Have you guys noticed that some small cars get bad mpg?
Some examples:
2007 Suzuki Reno manual trans:26mpg combined EPA
2007 Chevy Aveo manual trans:30mpg combined EPA

These cars are both the same or smaller than my Yaris, which is combined 37mpg. How can they sell these? Where does the gas go?
dont forget to check out EPAs new numbers at www.fueleconomy.gov, not that it really matters

Yaris = 32 combined
Aveo = 27 combined
Old 10-29-2007, 01:19 PM   #50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
I thought you had to go back to the 30s to find a cast iron engine, but what do I know,

lol yea my 29 model A engine is all cast iron. engine+tranny(again iron)is about just shy of 500lbs.

my chvettes engine is a cast iron block. the 80's s-0s used the iron duke engines(cant kill em)

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote