wheel skirts going on right now - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-13-2006, 08:35 PM   #11
Driving on E

I think that looks AWESOME!

I might actually do this to the Fit now... but I might want to make a single piece for the cover... perhaps out of aluminum as well.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:43 AM   #12
Tuggin at the surly bonds

You're having way too much fun.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:11 AM   #13
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I think that looks AWESOME!

I might actually do this to the Fit now... but I might want to make a single piece for the cover... perhaps out of aluminum as well.

I wanted a single piece also. I just couldn't make it happen. There were a few issues with doing single piece. The radius of the to horizontal pieces was different and it also had a vertical radius. Lastly the bottom crossmember was angled slightly out. This means the center of the skirt is closer to the ground than the edges. My method was to get a rough shape oversize and screw the bottom, edge to edge. Then screw to the vertical member. After that screw across the vertical member. Then slice and screw ,using a razor knife, every six inches. The second skirt looked much better. I'm still not sure that coroplast or aluminum will conform to these curves. My next set will be hand laid fiberglass fastened by either dzus fasteners or some other quick release method. I have several other ideas rolling around.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:11 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I am wondering if you heated the coroplast with a heat gun if it would soften and curve like if you did it over a curved surface to form it.

I think if you took a big plastic bag full of expanding urethane foam and stuffed it into the wheel well and let it set up then shaped the outside surface to exactly how you like it and then fiberglass over it you would have a really smooth wheel cover.You could then remove the foam and shape the back side into the fender like a plug making it fit really well so that it could be retained easily. I am also wondering how a sheet of lettering vinyl would stick to the body over a foam structure like this instead of fiberglass and it may stretch to the shape better.

Anyone ever hammer aluminum into a curved shape?

My Dad had a car a long time ago that had removable rear wheel skirts - there was a rod lever under the bottom lip that would push up over and then pull down to release.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:32 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan
Looks great to me. I laughed when I thought about checking the air pressure on the passenger side though!

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:37 AM   #16
Supporting Member

lovemysan -

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan
finished the passenger side.

Sometimes the best you can do, is just ugly. Oh well my car will have to look hacked until I can get better.
Pics of the driver side soon
This is really hard core. All the way to the base of the body. Keep the pix coming. They are just the right size for detail and fitting on the webpage. I can really understand the "how to" from what you are posting.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:52 AM   #17
Registered Member

Those look excellent.

One thing that came to my mind is "Is he where he gets snowfall?". If you're not then you should be good to go but if you are then you might have some problems with snow building up inside the wheel well.

However, anyone who takes all this time to fab up nice looking skirts like this propbably wouldn't be putting them on right before winter anyhow.

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:02 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
I think if you took a big plastic bag full of expanding urethane foam and stuffed it into the wheel well and let it set up then shaped the outside surface to exactly how you like it and then fiberglass over it you would have a really smooth wheel cover.
I was thinking fiberglass too. Smooth out the coroplast with whatever you have available (bondo, plaster) and glass over it. Separate, remove the coroplast & reinstall the glass.

But I also totally understand only wanting to put so much work into these projects before it gets to be a hassle

I really want to see a pic from further away showing the whole side of the car when you're done!
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:39 AM   #19
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
I was thinking fiberglass too. Smooth out the coroplast with whatever you have available (bondo, plaster) and glass over it. Separate, remove the coroplast & reinstall the glass.

But I also totally understand only wanting to put so much work into these projects before it gets to be a hassle

I really want to see a pic from further away showing the whole side of the car when you're done!
Your wish has been granted obione kanobi

These were more less a one evening thrash to get an idea of what wheel skirts are like. If I like them, they perform, and I get tired of the rough hewn look I'll make some blingy fiberglass units with quick release. I already have designed the release and the molding process.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-14-2006, 09:48 AM   #20
Supporting Member

Next mod is carbon fiber trunk, hood, and sunroof, ac and powersteering removal, fill body lines, custom front bumper cover, and a colosal boattail. And custom milled wheels.

Haha we can dream can't we.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]