wheel skirts going on right now - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
Supporting Member

wheel skirts going on right now

Okay 75% through this project and my calvs keep falling asleep. Materials used are old pieces of aluminum(ooh my favorite metal) flooring thresholds. One corner stair clamp, another flooring product. And of course the most annoying stuff in the world COROPLAST. Argh, this stuff is really starting to irritate me. I much prefer the aluminum.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
Registered Member

Nice. How difficult will it be for you to change a tire with that? I'm going to eventually add wheel skirts to my Accord, but am worried about how easy it will be to take it off when I need to.

repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete86
Nice. How difficult will it be for you to change a tire with that? I'm going to eventually add wheel skirts to my Accord, but am worried about how easy it will be to take it off when I need to.
I'll keep this simple. If there is not a phillips head screw driver in the car, I will be kicking it off.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Registered Member

Lol, sounds fun. Looks like my steel toed boots are now useful off of a set now too.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
Supporting Member

finished the passenger side.

Sometimes the best you can do, is just ugly. Oh well my car will have to look hacked until I can get better.
Pics of the driver side soon

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-13-2006, 07:35 PM   #6
Registered Member

Looks aren't everything. As long as it makes a difference, it's worth it.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:50 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I had been thinking that if I was to do wheel skirts, that going with black like that would be ideal appearence wise, seeing as how the wheel well is black, tires are black, haveing the skirt match the color of the car makes the car look more like a blob, contrasting wheel skirts like that give the lines of the car a visual brake.
making it easy to remove them is hard, I wonder if you use a few sets of rare earth magents in place of screws, or did a sub frame with clips, and just a few screws.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:54 PM   #8
Supporting Member

passenger side. Done. Coroplast does not like compound curves. It wants to ripple and deform. I couldn't keep some of the kinks out so I sliced reliefs into it. My original intention was to make templates out of coroplast but time constraints will have me running these for my thanksgiving travels. I will seem caulk them with black caulk and black the screws and there done. Next big challenge will be finishing the underpan. The rear of the car will be fun considering there is a 4.5' section with a gas tank(no screws here, rear suspension, and tumor shaped muffler to deal with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-13-2006, 07:59 PM   #9
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland
I had been thinking that if I was to do wheel skirts, that going with black like that would be ideal appearence wise, seeing as how the wheel well is black, tires are black, haveing the skirt match the color of the car makes the car look more like a blob, contrasting wheel skirts like that give the lines of the car a visual brake.
making it easy to remove them is hard, I wonder if you use a few sets of rare earth magents in place of screws, or did a sub frame with clips, and just a few screws.
Haha! magnets, I wish. The body panels are plastic. looking back the best way is cardboard, coat hangers and duct tape.

I have thought about a silver circle to match the appearance of the rim. If I tried to make them quick release I'd go crazy. I have some ideas but the goal was 3-4 hours fab and install. And zero dollars invested.

I'm going to bed folks. Tomorrow belly pan progress. Look for more pics. I need the support. This needs to be done friday evening.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-13-2006, 08:00 PM   #10
Registered Member

Ouch. They certainly don't make it easy. That's one of the reasons why I probably will never build a belly pan. The other is because this is Florida, and if I'm going to be blocking the grille, a belly pan will be way too much on the engine due to heat. The heavy rain in the summer won't help either with a nice little bowl shaped compartment on the bottom of the car. I think that even the grille block is going to be pushing it and will only go on when I'm travelling long distance.