Where to buy a D15B6? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #11
Registered Member

Well I guess the search continues then. Does anyone know a reputable business that does rebuilds for less than 895.00 in the northern california area? I don't mind working on my car but I have neither the time or experience for a rebuild.

Cap'n J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzR View Post
"Actually the CX head isn't the same as the HF head. I am not certain on the cam profile, but what I am certain on is that the HF head has roller rockers, and the CX head has the flat tappet rockers. But there is no reason why you can't use a dx block with HF pistons and head."

I was suprised they had the same number for the part. HF heads in good condition are fairly hard to come by. The CX head is the same casting as the HF. In my car I have the CX head with all the cam parts off the HF head
The bare head castings themselves might actually be the same. But it looks like the HF has a different cam and rocker arm assembly.

StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #13
Registered Member

I found my D15B6 on ebay, a place in dallas tx sells remanufactured engines. They said this was the only one but maybe that was a sales pitch. I paid $590 plus $150.00 shipping. It runs great, I have put 2500 miles on it so far with no problems with it. Here is the link to the auction site http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8765&viewitem= maybe he has another one.
bartsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsan View Post
I found my D15B6 on ebay, a place in dallas tx sells remanufactured engines. They said this was the only one but maybe that was a sales pitch. I paid $590 plus $150.00 shipping. It runs great, I have put 2500 miles on it so far with no problems with it. Here is the link to the auction site http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8765&viewitem= maybe he has another one.
You know, I guess that might be a sales pitch. I bought a D15B2 for my '89 DX about a year ago and it was the same story. "Large inventory of surplus" yada yada. I live in Dallas and drove to go pick it up (they're about an hour outside of Dallas in a rather "country" area). I paid $500 picked up.

The engine just sat around for about a year and I'm now in the process of putting it in. I'm also doing an MPFI conversion as well as a wire-tuck and rebuilding the whole front end. I was getting near 40 MPG before (aside from my A/C work) but the car used quite a bit of oil so I just decided to finally put it on stands and get the new one in (and clutch, struts, Si transmission, bushings, mounts, and a whole bunch crap I blew money on).

Anyway, good to hear you've had a good experience with it so far. I really don't know why those guys would use a "pitch" like that, because IMO it doesn't seem necessary. Heck, they might as well just say they rebuilt the engine and here's the price. Although, I guess presenting it as the "last" one from a mythical warehouse inventory acquisition gives the buyer more of a sense of urgency.

james92se is offline   Reply With Quote