Where To Get Synthetic Oil Cheap! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
For example Mobil 1 5W30 Extended Performance oil. Check the UPC code for the one @ Wal-Mart, and the UPC code for one @ your local auto parts store. If the #'s match, you're buying the same product.
bobc455 is right about WalMart. Same brand, same UPC, same minimum specifications, there's a chance that the WalMart product will skim closer to the minimum specs than another store. The same is true of Home Depot and Lowes vs. other stores; same brand tool, same UPC, chance of less quality.

An example that is easy to observe: Tony's frozen pizza. Get it from WalMart and it's got visibly less cheese, and the crust is often bubbled up (before cooking). It's $2.50. For $4 at other grocery stores, it's much more consistent, far fewer crust bubbles and more cheese.

It's not 100% of products, but it is a significant portion of them. When there is a difference it's usually not a huge difference.

WalMart oil is good enough for my cars, and WalMart food is good enough for me.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Take two seemingly identical products. For example Mobil 1 5W30 Extended Performance oil. Check the UPC code for the one @ Wal-Mart, and the UPC code for one @ your local auto parts store. If the #'s match, you're buying the same product.
95% of the time they will be different. At least around here. Every auto parts store here sells 4 quart jugs of oil, not 5 quart. Only big places like Wal-Mart have 5 quart jugs.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

That's why I mentioned comparing the 1Qt bottles. Everyone carries those.

EDIT: I guess I was thinking that while I typed that response, but I never stated in there what I was thinking clearly. Anyway, a 4Qt and a 5Qt bottle are not the identical product.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
I hope nobody here uses the Extended Performance Mobil 1... That's some of the most disgusting oil I think I've ever seen lol. The texture and everything is just all wrong!
I have the Mobil 1 EP 5W30 in the Hooptie, and Mobil 1 10W30 High Mileage in Rusty. I use Mobil 1 0W30 in The Beast. I chose the EP oil for the Hooptie as it doesn't get driven much (Only went 1,100 miles in the past year), and I do extended change intervals on it.

I've never seen the EP oil straight from the bottle. I had it changed, and they put it in for me. Its still a wonderful light honey color (at least it looks that way on the dipstick), and the oil has been in that car for nearly a year.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Next time you are checking the oil put some on your fingers and rub them together, then do it to the other cars. It has a very weird texture to it.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:08 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
bobc455 is right about WalMart. Same brand, same UPC, same minimum specifications, there's a chance that the WalMart product will skim closer to the minimum specs than another store. The same is true of Home Depot and Lowes vs. other stores; same brand tool, same UPC, chance of less quality.

An example that is easy to observe: Tony's frozen pizza. Get it from WalMart and it's got visibly less cheese, and the crust is often bubbled up (before cooking). It's $2.50. For $4 at other grocery stores, it's much more consistent, far fewer crust bubbles and more cheese.

It's not 100% of products, but it is a significant portion of them. When there is a difference it's usually not a huge difference.

WalMart oil is good enough for my cars, and WalMart food is good enough for me.
their clothes dont skim they are totally open about being garbage, dont try to shop for clothes there, building 19 any day over wal mart
spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #17
Registered Member

The following link will take you to a rebate form for a $15. rebate on Pennzoil Platinum bringing the cost for a 5 quart jug down to $5.

http://pennzoil.com/documents/04946%...ine%20form.pdf
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #18
Registered Member

I've used the Wally world Syn tech brand 5/30 for years now. The oil analysis have always shown it to still have good protection left at 7 to 8k. Could I buy other oils and maybe push the change interval to 10k? Maybe, and it might even be worth it except that I wasn't getting any better life expectancy out of Mobil One. Same changes, same TBN numbers as the WAY cheaper synthetics. No thanks.

Jim T.

Ignorance is lack of knowing; stupidity is false logic
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #19
Registered Member

Mix Your Oil

I have been mixing my oil for years, after reading the FAA report on Synthetic motor oil. The FAA is super restrictive, you cant add octane booster to you plane and until 2000 you could not add synthetics to the oil. So the FAA did a study and found that a total synthetic did not wash off the rings enough to get the carbon fouling out of the rings. The result, rings would stick and blow oil past the piston. So the FAA worked on a number of experiments, they found that a mixture of 45% Synthetic, 45% multiweight 20/50, and 10% 30 weight was the best for longevity. The synthetic has its wonderful lubricity, the 20/50 washed the rings, and the 10% 30 weight left a film of oil on the crank for start up to eliminate the metal on metal of a crank that has cooked off its thin synthetic oil.

I use Havoline or Quaker State Synthetic Blend, largly due to a test Chevrolet ran that found the best longevity of bearing life came from these 2 brands. Who were the losers, everything else including Mobile 1 and Castrol due to they're inability to cover the crank after running. Now the Chevrolet test was in 2006, so many motor oil companies have changed hands or merged operations. If anyone has new data I'm all ears.

How do I mix it? I take one of those clear plastic 1 gallon water jugs you get from the dollar store, drink the water and let it dry for a day, when all the water is gone, I draw graduated lines on the side of it and start mixing my 3 oils. With the new synthetic blends I dont have to mix the 2 oils, so I just add a shot of 30 weight. Now in winter I decrease the multi grade regular oil to manufacturer recomended viscosity, but I still add the 10% 30 weight.
GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
I've used the Wally world Syn tech brand 5/30 for years now. The oil analysis have always shown it to still have good protection left at 7 to 8k. Could I buy other oils and maybe push the change interval to 10k? Maybe, and it might even be worth it except that I wasn't getting any better life expectancy out of Mobil One. Same changes, same TBN numbers as the WAY cheaper synthetics. No thanks.

Jim T.
I've had the same experience with WalMart synthetic 5W30 in my Geo. Interestingly, the oil consumption went from about 1k miles per quart to about 2k miles per quart. I haven't had it professionally analyzed, but it seems to be working just fine. And I sometimes go 7-8k miles between oil changes...something always seems to come up at around the 3k mile time to keep me from changing the oil (I've got a jug and a filter sitting in the garage right now waiting for me to have some time to get out there and change it...)

Some WalMart items are OK...I like the cheap mini-blinds...for under $4.00 I can replace them anytime the cat gets mad at me and decides to pee on the blinds. Socks and underwear do OK for the price...we have a Winco store in town that is as good a deal as WalMart for food, and the quality is a lot better.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote