Where To Get Synthetic Oil Cheap! - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I am so glad that I am running Synlube in my xB and DON'T have to worry about changing oil any more. (www.synlube.com) Now at 28266 miles and running great (24,566 on Synlube without a change).

I used to get my Geo oil at Walmart - Castrol 5w30 syntech usually the blend and did 7-8k change intervals. It used a bit of oil but with only holding 3 quarts it was not a big deal. Emissions were really low so no problem there . . . if only it didn't rust away I might still be driving it.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Do you send that oil off for testing or do you just believe the manufacturer?

Old 09-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #23
Banned

quaker state and pennzoil are the same company btw
spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
Do you send that oil off for testing or do you just believe the manufacturer?
What Synlube? Can't really be analyzed the conventional way since it contains particles of solid lubricant and some sacrificial iron compounds already which would skew the test results. The indicator of good lubrication is the high gas mileage low noise and low heat levels that I get and since they have not had any oil related failures and have not changed the formular for many years I don't worry about testing it for wear. How many people send out oil samples with Mobile 1 which has changed several times in recent years? I have yet to wear out an engine before the body rusts away but in this case I hope to drive my xB a bit more than I have and get some use out of it. Hopefully the excelent rust prevention that Toyota/Scion uses will let this one last a good deal longer than prior cars I have owned.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #25
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO

In the 5Qt size is $11.60 at Walmart
Motorcraft 5W-20 Premium Synthetic

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #26
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Can't really be analyzed the conventional way since it contains particles of solid lubricant and some sacrificial iron compounds already which would skew the test results. The indicator of good lubrication is the high gas mileage low noise and low heat levels that I get and since they have not had any oil related failures and have not changed the formular for many years I don't worry about testing it for wear.
So you have to accept on faith that you can go without changing your oil for so long?

Quote:
I have yet to wear out an engine before the body rusts away
It is my observation that this is the case with most vehicles regardless of the oil products or oil service intervals, with some specific exceptions.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #27
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

I just don't think I personally feel comfortable with the same oil in an engine for more than 10,000 miles, no matter what oil or filters are used, but that's just me. When I was young & stupid I used to change my oil & filter as soon as the oil started to turn black on the dipstick. That was about every 1,500 to 2,000 miles for Valvoline 10W30 back in the late 80's - early 90's. I also used to use 10W30 in winter, and 10W40 in summer. That was the first habit I broke myself of. I switched to using 10W30 year round. Then I started doing 3,000 mile oil changes. Once I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic I went to 5,000 miles. No more worrying or keeping track of when it was serviced. If my odometer reading is divisible by 5,000 my service is due. I've been pleased that the oil never turns black, and I'm not interested in deviating from my 5,000 mile schedule. My vehicles run smooth & quiet (with the exception of Rusty - you can hear that truck coming from a mile away. The exhaust is very noisy.)

EDIT: Dad used to always do oil changes on the Bonneville every 5,000 miles. I think the book called for changes every 7,500 or 8,000 miles.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #28
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
That's exactly how I do my service intervals lol
Old 09-21-2009, 04:03 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
So you have to accept on faith that you can go without changing your oil for so long?

It is my observation that this is the case with most vehicles regardless of the oil products or oil service intervals, with some specific exceptions.
They have other customers listed that have gone a great many miles without changing the oil and a few people I have met on line have used it without any problems. Usually when conventional oils start looking their lubricating properties you see a mileage drop and an increase in engine noise tapping knocking etc. Not seeing any of this.

As far as the cost I would have done 5 oil changes by now . . . at $20 each and an hour of my time each plus shopping time to get the oil . . . That's $100 and 5+ hours. And combine that with 28266 miles using 831 gallons of gas at 34mpg vs 657 gallons at 43mpg equals a savings of 173 gallons at $3 a gallon = $520 saved. Sort of pays for some scangauges and acetone doesn't it?
Old 09-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #30
Banned

the first rule of Wal-Mart is the only other place you shop is at another Wal-Mart

you can save 700$ a year increasing your mileage by 7 or 8 miles per gallon

just think each mile is a 100$ bill!!

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote